Drill Batteries have reached their End-of-Life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
I have this thing about my Makita drill. I choose the 12V model because I like the weight and the ergonomics of how it fits my hand. The fact it has survived more than one fall from the ladder to the cement floor is significant too!

New batteries cost $50-$70. It does not make a lot of sense to buy two new batteries when a new drill with two batteries and a charger cost $137.40. Here's the link to the Makita 6217D (the old one is a 6213D).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OYF6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

What is everyone else doing when your drill battery's reach end-of-life?

-Don

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm still trying to decide. I can get my batteries rebuilt for about $45 each, but seems like a lot to pay for 2 batteries.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
take a look at the panasonic 12 volt. it cost's a little more but IMO is a far superior drill. I run mine all day every day on the job. the batteries get charged on average once every 2 days. I have one that is approx 7 years old and the batteries while not as good as new are pretty darned close. I had a makita 12 volt once. the batteries only lasted approx 4 months. these 2 drills are about the same size and weight so it should be comfortable in your hand. I use the 15.6 volt drills because they are better at drilling large holes. I think you would benefit from the 15.6 but if you are only driving screws the 12 volt would be fine.

fred

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I had a lousy B&D drill, so I was sort of glad the batteries died. I bought the Makita 18V Li-Ion kit (drill, impact driver, flashlight, 2 batteries + third one coming via rebate). Super light (just over 4lb with battery), great power. Of course, $270 is a lot more than $120 for two batteries.

Buying a new drill for $140 would make more sense than just getting batteries. Is the old model compatible with the new one? Always nice to have one for drilling and the other for driving, or drill bit/ countersink bit. Plus, if you ever drop from a ladder a second time, it helps to have a spare.

Or for $170, you can get a 10.8V Li-Ion drill/ impact driver kit. Half the weight, and power pretty much the same as a 12V drill (Bosch is 'rebranding' its 10.8V tools as 12V).

Rebuilding 12V batteries is usually not terribly economic, unfortunately.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
You can get them rebuilt at MTOBattery (http://www.mtobattery.com/store/). I've had them rebuild a couple of B&D 14v batteries and some 18v DeWalts. They are great to deal with. Fast customer service and respond to email pretty quickly. I don't remember how quickly they returned the batteries to me but I would probably remember if I thought it took them too long. You can ship the batteries in a flat rate box.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a 9.6V DeWalt, a 9.6V B&D bought for batteries for the DeWalt, and a 18V Ryobi. Since I got the Ryobi that is all I use. It is heavy but controllable with lots of power. I drilled 1/2 inch holes in my boat trailer when I was moving the axle with it. One battery is getting a little tired but Home Depot will probably have another special this Christmas so I will get another drill or something to get another battery. I also have the circular saw and jig saw. The jig saw is more useful than the circular saw but they both are useful at times. The newer models are lithium ion but I have the old Ni-Cad. For the money, I do not think you can beat them. (The charger is a one hour).

Jim

cpw

New User
Charles
What is everyone else doing when your drill battery's reach end-of-life?

I drop'em by the BORG for recycling and keep on movin'.

I'm on my third battery and second charger for my Porter Cable 12V. Served me well for 13 years, but when the battery bites the dust that's it. I already have a Ryobi ONE+ 18V that I got in a kit for Christmas and haven't even opened yet.

jtdums

New User
Jim
I finally upgraded my Milwaukee 12v batteries to the lithium and WOW what a difference.
The old 12v could barely power the circ saw and the difference is amazing. As far as I know Milwaukee might be the only company that enables you to do a swap for the old with new battery type. I will only buy Lithium-ion tools in the future. (and have :gar-Bi)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
The DeWalt 18V lithium will fit any of the old line of 18V tools. just having a hard time stomaching that price.

DavidF

New User
David
I went in to HF for a new 18v Ni-CAd battery and walked out with a new cordless drill AND battery that fits my HF impact driver - all for $15!!! I have used these two tools at two trade shows busting crates open and re-packing at the end, plus putting in 200+ screws recently into PT lumber and it didn't miss a beat. I'm not a contractor so these tools will no doubt last a while - rather not have my tool budget hanging on the wall most of the time!!

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I finally upgraded my Milwaukee 12v batteries to the lithium and WOW what a difference.
The old 12v could barely power the circ saw and the difference is amazing. As far as I know Milwaukee might be the only company that enables you to do a swap for the old with new battery type. I will only buy Lithium-ion tools in the future. (and have :gar-Bi)
All Ryobi existing 18v tools work with their LiIon. Their LiIon charger recharges NiCad also, and does it quicker than the other chargers! LiIon is worth it IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS