Cull Wood Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
One of my Son's and one of my Daughter's asked me to make them a set of living room tables. So I decided to use some QS RO cull wood from the last lumber run. I came up with a very basic design that I threw together without any plans. The end table also has a low BF count of 11.9

* 1) top qty 1 - 1x8-8 (7/8 x 21 x 25) edge glued
* 4) legs qty 2 - 1x3-8 (1 7/8 sq x 23) face glued
* 4) rails qty 1 - 1x4-8 which will make 2) short rails (7/8 x 3 x 16 3/4) and 2) long rails (7/8 x 3 x 20 3/4)
* 4) corner block 7/8 x 3 x 4 leftover from above
* 28 2 1/2 drywall screws (to fasten the rails to the top and legs to the corner blocks)
* 12 1 1/4 drywall screws (to fasten the corner blocks to the rails)
* 3/8 round over bit (round over the edge of the top and outside corner of the legs)

The rails set back 3/4" from the edge of the top and the legs ~ 1/4". I have not finished sanding and sealing but here's what it looks like so far, after about 4 hours. Minus over night glue dry time for the top and legs. I have 3 more end tables and 2 coffee table to make.

P10101152.JPG

And yes that's white paint on the floor, I need to refinish the floor still as you can see someone stained it :confused_

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great.:icon_thum :icon_thum
How's that sweetgum looking you cut last winter?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Jeff,

You know there is not a word in the sawyers vocabulary for "cull" wood. If its cull we haven't learned a skill or use for it yet :)

Nice table

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just noticed you said you used drywall screws on this. Do you have a problem with them snapping off or do you coounterbore them big enough to get a snug fit without overtorqueing them?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

You know there is not a word in the sawyers vocabulary for "cull" wood. If its cull we haven't learned a skill or use for it yet :)

Nice table

Yeah your right perhaps I should call it misfit lumber, because no one wanted it. I really cull out at the saw anyways. If I wouldn't use the board, then it hits the slab pile instead of the stack.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just noticed you said you used drywall screws on this. Do you have a problem with them snapping off or do you coounterbore them big enough to get a snug fit without overtorqueing them?

I drill a pilot and also countersink. I also coat the screw thread with paraffin wax, snug them up and back off about a 1/8 of a turn. This allows the wood to move a little if it wants too. Drywall screws are not the best thing in the world but are quick and I've not had a problem with them snapping on me.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice Jeff.
But it has grown 2 more legs and they have grey fuzzy feet!

Yeah I seen that - That's Stripper, Scott's old shop cat that my daughter fell in love with and I got conned into bringing home. He's a real good mouser and seems to get along with everyone just fine.

A couple of weeks ago a cute girl cat "followed" my daughter home, so now we got another one for outside. Stripper spends most of his day laying on the window sill watching the cute girl cat outside. Odd thing is... Stripper won't go outside, even if you leave the door open and the girl cat that's outside won't come in. They just stare at each other, nose to nose but neither one will cross the threshold.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Looking good Bro!

Glad to hear that the old Stripmeister is doing well. Considering that he wasn't exactly on "easy street" hanging out at my barn and shop, I can understand why he doesn't want to stray too far from the house and all of the attention that he gets from y'all!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here's the coffee table finished sanded and sealed, it measures 21 x 39 x 17. The top is a edge joined 1 x 12 so only one glue joint down the center. How humid it was today, I hurried up and got the rails screwed in so the top wouldn't bow. Now it's on to a little touch up and bunch of spraying fun... weather permitting

Materials list 17.2BF

* 1) top qty 1 - 1x12-8 (7/8 x 21 x 39) edge glued
* 4) legs qty 2 - 1x3-8 (1 7/8 sq x 16) face glued
* 4) rails qty 2 - 1x4-8 which will make 2) short rails (7/8 x 3 x 16 3/4) and 2) long rails (7/8 x 3 x 35 3/4)
* 4) corner block 7/8 x 3 x 4 leftover from above
* 38 2 1/2 drywall screws (to fasten the rails to the top and legs to the corner blocks)
* 12 1 1/4 drywall screws (to fasten the corner blocks to the rails)
* 3/8 round over bit (round over the edge of the top and outside corner of the legs)

P10101181.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
UR QUICK MAN!!!! U da one dat stole me elves eh?:gar-La;
nice work man.:eusa_clap simple but elegant and all 3 pieces looks the same.:roll: :rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Done :) Finishing schedule 1 coat 3/4 clear oil based gloss poly 1/4 mineral spirits, let dry for 1 day. Then 3 coats clear gloss water based poly. Scrub in between each coat of water based with some 3M purple pad that I picked up at the BORG. The oil base brings out the grain and helps with grain raising brought on by the water based.

P10101222.JPG

P10101223.JPG
P10101232.JPG

P10101224.JPG
P10101242.JPG

Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
Eye popping grain, Jeff!
Easy to understand why you like building tables . . . great way to expose the beauty of wood and present it for viewing :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS