Clear Finish on Door Recommendations

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I am doing a project about 25 million. 45 doors that are to be clear finish. Architect did not want lacquer. So my question, what is the industry preference

Varathene, General finish style oil based clear
Or
Water-based polys. Any of you finish doors lot? What is the more used... let me know
Appreciate it. Thx

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have to ask why not the lacquer? Other than that I’d use the oil based material of your choice.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
TBH, Not sure why the Architect is opposed to Lacquer. Frankly, I hate being a Proj.Mgr. and watching the subs trying to do woodwork on a project.

They also have to stain Birch doors to Grey...... Birch can be tricky any suggestions on a sealer that will help the painter

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
For the doors I would use a tung oil which will hold up well to the humidity on that side of the island, I used tung oil on my sons outdoor doors 5 years ago and it still looked great back in June. (he's in Kona)

Reactions: Oka

MTod

Michael
Corporate Member
For exterior doors I use sikkens cetol (now PPG Proluxe Door and Window). Holds up well to weather and not hard to apply. Here is a pair of doors I am in the middle of. Horizontal one is with three coats, vertical after 1.

For interior, you could use a hard wax oil like Rubio monocoat. Dead simple to apply. Robust and easily repairable.
IMG_1260.jpeg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Use the term: "Catalyzed Conversion Varnish". Explain that is goes on with the same spray process as lacquers, but the film catalyses into a durable polymer finish. There are various sheen choices.
This is in case the A only has experience with plain nitro lacquer finishes.

Same stuff, different package. That kind of thing. I'm assuming that the finishers use catalyzed conversion finish.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
These are all in interior, remember these are in a commercial bank bldg.

I'll see if the Architect will reconsider lacquer, far more predictable for a clear coat

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

I'll see if the Architect will reconsider lacquer, far more predictable for a clear coat
Dont concern yourself with waterbased clarity, these new products from GF are far superior to oils, not sure why anyone would bother with oil anymore.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Look into the new UV cured finishes. Personally I might go for automotive 2K clear-cote. Even the new water based ones. Not as "hard" as the older stuff, but does hold up pretty well.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member

Now that we know these are interior doors, this applies.

Another woodworking club I belong to just received a guided tour by the owner through the most high-tech cabinet shop I've ever seen. A truly impressive operation. He turns out 20-25 orders per month, many of them full kitchens. He recently purchased one of those high tech color matching machines, and now custom mixes each batch.

Over a thousand+ jobs he has settled on General Finishes Enduro line of products for everything he does. If it's good enough for commercial kitchen cabinets, it's good enough for interior doors in a climate controlled building.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS