ceramic guides for BS blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Are ceramic guides for BS blades hard enough to hurt the blade? I am seeing a spark every now and then and was just wondering.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Are ceramic guides for BS blades hard enough to hurt the blade? I am seeing a spark every now and then and was just wondering.

sparks are normal for ceramic guides. just be sure the thrust bearing is set corectly so the teeth are not contacting the guides.:icon_thum ceramic will damage [dull] the blade if your trust bearing is not right.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
What Fred said. The sparks are normal. They are a "cold" spark and don't cause fires (or so I've read). The guides on my saw spark occasionally (under pressure). Just as you wouldn't want bearings to rub the teeth, you don't want the ceramic (it's hard!)

J

jeff...

IMHO graphite is much better and makes for a cooler running blade if your going to be running your saw for hours on end

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
If memory serves Jeremy said he buries his blades in the grahite guides. I was thinking about changing back to graphite guides anyway.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If memory serves Jeremy said he buries his blades in the grahite guides. I was thinking about changing back to graphite guides anyway.

The Laguna uses ceramic. Those are actually my preferred guides by a mile for larger blades (never used with smaller blades). They only spark the first time you "set" them, then little, if ever. Now, I never run my bandsaw all day, so I'm not sure about any of that. I do "bury" my blade into the ceramic though as far as I can safely. Just keep the blade running true(er).

The Grizzly bandsaw I have uses roller bearings. They are good, but not my favorite. To much of a pain to adjust correctly to keep the blade "snug" but not too tight. My favorite blade guide was the ones on my old Grizzly (that I sold), which were the Carter Stabilizer. It was VERY nice for small blades with a scroll-like purpose.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
I make my own out of oak or maple. Cut then to size make the a little long so they last longer then put them in a jar of BLO and microwave for a minute or so. After they cool, put them in a ziplock sandwich bag and you have them ready for use. I made about 6 sets a couple of years ago and still have four or five sets in a bag. I bury my smaller blades in them for better control. When they get to bad out of shape, I take them out and sand them flat then back in they go, until they need replacement.

Mine are 1/2" square and make them about 1.5" long.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I make my own out of oak or maple. Cut then to size make the a little long so they last longer then put them in a jar of BLO and microwave for a minute or so. After they cool, put them in a ziplock sandwich bag and you have them ready for use. I made about 6 sets a couple of years ago and still have four or five sets in a bag. I bury my smaller blades in them for better control. When they get to bad out of shape, I take them out and sand them flat then back in they go, until they need replacement.

That's pretty cool.

J

jeff...

Maple would work nice and great idea - I may try... just need a make sure I can drill two clean holes to accept the 1/4-20 bolts used to hole them in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS