Aluminum & Walnut Celtic Knot

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
You never fail to impress, Alex.

Question: Will refills bought in Europe fit your pens? Curious, because I am contemplating taking a hand-crafted treasure to a B&B hostess when we return to Co. Donegal in September.

James Duxbury

New User
Jim
Nice job Alex----Very nice job.

What did you glue the aluminum to the walnut with?

I am the turner that introduced you and your dad to the wood lathe at Klingspor's a few years ago. Who would have thougt.

Jim Duxbury

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
You never fail to impress, Alex.

Question: Will refills bought in Europe fit your pens? Curious, because I am contemplating taking a hand-crafted treasure to a B&B hostess when we return to Co. Donegal in September.

Hi Tom, I did a google search and cross, parker and schmidt refills are all available in Europe. alex

AlexL

New User
Alex Lesniak
Nice job Alex----Very nice job.

What did you glue the aluminum to the walnut with?

I am the turner that introduced you and your dad to the wood lathe at Klingspor's a few years ago. Who would have thougt.

Jim Duxbury

Hi Mr. Duxbury! Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker. I used 5 minute epoxy to glue up the lamination. I was going to try ca but I needed more time to get everything lined up. I took 2 pieces of 2x2 poplar that I jointed flat and covered those with waxed paper. I put the lamination between the two blocks and clamped them together until the epoxy dried. It seems so long ago when I met you at woodworkers supply. My dad just reminded me it was nov 11th 2007, the first time I tried the lathe. I still have the little spindle you helped me turn. Take a look at this page on my web site. http://pensforcollege.com/about.aspx if you scroll all the way to the bottom you'll see the picture my dad took on his camera phone! alex

James Duxbury

New User
Jim
Alex,

I saw the picture of us on the bottom of your web site. 2007 Wow! It is amazing what can happen when you get started right. You have an eye and feel for this sort of thing and that can help you all through your life.

-----Please be Safe---- I lost the tip of one finger on a jointer at 59 years old. It can happen to anyone in a split second. You are working on small pieces. If you don’t have a good jig to hold those small pieces or have any questions at all please let me know. Don’t experiment. Doctors need all their fingers.

The Greensboro Recreation Center has a summer program for children about 10 years old and our club does a five week program with them. About 16 boys and girls turn the Bic Pen type pens, honey dippers, ring holders, and egg clocks. They are so proud of the final results and who know what happens from there.

Be safe, pay attention, and have a good time. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS