WTB Shorter Tool Rest for Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
As the regulars out here know, I purchased the Delta 46-715 lathe last month and just started turning pens. One thing we found out though was that the tool rest that it comes with is a bit too long.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a shorter tool rest for this lathe? :eusa_thin

Will any tool rest work? :slap:

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
As the regulars out here know, I purchased the Delta 46-715 lathe last month and just started turning pens. One thing we found out though was that the tool rest that it comes with is a bit too long.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a shorter tool rest for this lathe? :eusa_thin

Will any tool rest work? :slap:

DaveO could make you one with his soon to be new welder or you could just cut the one you have in half. :rolf::rolf::rolf:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
BOUGHT: Shorter Tool Rest for Lathe

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up picking up a round 6" rest from Woodcraft today. The price was right and I could have it right away -- no shipping -- so I went for it!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Mike, I saw this solution to a long tool rest posted on another forum. I am not sure I recommend it but maybe you can adapt some idea from it for your purposes.

Attachments

• pic118993.jpg
    pic118993.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 170

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I made a round tool rest such as that for my Jet mini.
It does work but after using straight sided tool rests for so long, I don't think I have the same control with the round ones.
The pivot point (tool rest being the fulcrum and the tool being the lever) is farther away from the work surface(pen blank)
The good thing is I made mine from 2 5/8ths bolts from the BORG for $4.78 and an HF wire feed welder.
I have to make a short one for the Rikon.
I'll do that with a stock tool rest and a HF "portaband"

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The pivot point (tool rest being the fulcrum and the tool being the lever) is farther away from the work surface(pen blank)

This is a good point and one I hadn't thought of when I bought it. Woodcraft does have another that would probably be better, but (of course) I didn't choose that one! Maybe they'll let me exchange this one??? :lol:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
This is a good point and one I hadn't thought of when I bought it. Woodcraft does have another that would probably be better, but (of course) I didn't choose that one! Maybe they'll let me exchange this one??? :lol:

Everything I do on the lathe is self taught.
I keep my tool rest so close to the blank you can just about get a piece od paper between it and the blank.There are a lot of turners who use the modular systems.
Since I am not really a turner (I only make pens) that is why I can't see the logic of a round tool rest.
On a side note.
At one time the replacement tool rest for a Jet mini at Wood Craft was $8.00.(this was 2 years ago)
For $8.00 I'll buy the replacement and cut it shorter.
Oh yeah
WC also carries a "modular" tool rest that looks like a piece of angle iron with a piece of plexciglass glued on it.
I have that one and it sucks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS