Worksharp3000 Vs. Lee Valley Pro Cabinet Sharpening Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilmingtonian

New User
David
Okay, I hope that I am not repeating another thread, but I have searched and searched.

I am trying to decide between a Worksharp 3000 or a Lee Valley Professional Cabinetmaker's Sharpening Set.

I have read many posts on the "scary sharp method," but I have no sharpening experience. I am looking for the quickest, easiest way to get the most quality results.

I will be sharpening chisels and plane blades.

Thanks for any insight in my future purchase decision!

Last edited:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I, and many other members can attest to the quality of the Worksharp 3000. It is as close to idiot proof of a system that can be found (that's why I bought it :gar-La;), and we even have one member here who sold his Tormek set up to get one.

Good Luck.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
David,

I have the Worksharp 3000 and would recommend it to anyone with limited experience. It is pretty foolproof, and I consistently get great results with my chisels. I did have a problem with the first unit I received, and the Worksharp folks were an absolute pleasure to deal with.

While finishing my basement, the trim guys had a few chisels that looked like they had been run through a garbage disposal, lots of nicks and no real edge to speak of. Within 10 minutes, they had 3 brand new looking chisels. They were pretty amazed at how quickly I was able to grind out a new bevel.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. Good luck with your purchase!

Gonzalo

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Personally, I'd do the Worksharp ... but eventually you might want the stones too. And now that the Worksharp can do the wider plane irons (with an additional accessory, I might add) ... even better.

Right now MS Live has 14% cashback via eBay (monitor it here: http://www.cashbackr.com/), so if you go that route you'll get some $$ back in your pocket.

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . .

I will be sharpening chisels and plane blades.

Thanks for any insight in my future purchase decision!

I love the Worksharp . . . it was made for dummies like me :gar-Bi

But beware of width limitation for plane blades. It won't work on blades wider than 2" unless you buy an "attachment gizmo" that goes on the top. Think it is about $80 and probably well worth the cost.

Roger

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I got a Worksharp 3000 a month or so ago and continue to be impressed with how simple it is to use. I don't look forward to sharpening so anything that works easily and without a lot of explanation ranks highly. It's probably the first function/machine in my shop that won't need another upgrade.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
In looking at your chosen options, they are rather opposite extremes of the approach to sharpening schools of thought.

I'd be interested in your thought process and how you arrived at these choices.

Waterstones/scary sharp approaches involve more up front learning. Some at a very low dollar cost.

Me, I use waterstones freehand, no fancypants jigs. As of late, I'm coming around to fewer stones and rounded bevels.

Jim

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I went with the stones and eventually got the Worksharp. I'm glad I learned to sharpen "manually" and sometimes I still use my stones. But for a new sharpener, the Worksharp is amazing.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I learned scary sharp and migrated to waterstones, first using a honing jig (Veritas Mk II...I think) then freehand.

I recently picked up a Worksharp 3000. The WS 3k is great for getting the blade flat and getting the bevel angle set. If you buy a vintage Stanley off the bay and the blade looks like a caveman sharpened it with an axe, the WS will get it in usable shape quickly. It wins hands down when you need to remove a LOT of metal on a blade. It's worth the money.

However, I always use my Norton 8k waterstone after the Worksharp. Takes the edge from ho-hum sharp to ooooohhhhh, man that's nice!

Buy the Worksharp - you won't regret it - but be prepared to learn to sharpen by hand depending on where the slope of hand tools takes you. It's very slippery! :gar-La;

Chuck

Wilmingtonian

New User
David
In looking at your chosen options, they are rather opposite extremes of the approach to sharpening schools of thought.

I'd be interested in your thought process and how you arrived at these choices.

Jim,

It all began when a friend gave me an old Stanley #4 he picked up at an auction. He said "your gonna need to sharpen it, but it will last forever." This lead to the purchase of a book on wood planes, then I won a few auctions on ebay. All the sudden, I have seven different planes that I would like to refurbish.

The book on planes talked about hand sharpening, which lead me to the Lee Valley choice, it has all the items need in one set, lapping glass, wet stone storage, two stones, and angle jig. But, I saw a post on here about a Worksharp, did some research and watched some videos.

I am all about efficiency, more so than tradition. I actually favor the Worksharp, but I want additional opinions before making my decision. I wanted to make sure that I am not sacrificing quality for convenience.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will post a gloat when I make a decision. :icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS