Woodworking Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
LOML and I are on a road trip. The first stop was a visit with our son who lives south of Baltimore. Then it was up to Pennsylvania, northwest of Philly, to the little town of Bally. Bally is the home to Bally block, a major manufacturer and distributor of maple, ash, walnut, Cherry, etc. butcher block. You wouldn't believe the huge building just piled to the rafters with maple! They and their sister store, Michigan block, sell to home supply retailers and ww stores like Woodcraft, Grizzly, and ww bench vendors, etc. While they don't sell retail, they sell a limited amount of seconds and blemished items to locals and others at really good prices out of the factory. I picked up a 30" x 72" x 3" thick solid maple top that had been returned by a customer. A maple top this large would have cost me several hundred dollars retail and 12/4 rough sawn maple would have cost an additional $200-300, but I only paid $75 for a complete top. Also, Russell, the guy who runs that part of the shop ran my top through a wide belt sander, so I will not need to spend any time on that when I get it home. He also sold me some rough 8/4 maple for the table skirt and vise faces. Total bill $120! Since the three vises I plan to mount on it (Lee Valley twin screw end vise, a WC quick release front vise, and a WC sliding end vise) were purchased with my WC contest prize winnings and the beech I am using for the base was free, I should end up with a $1000+ woodworking bench for only $120 plus whatever I spent on bench dogs!

Later we stopped by the Woodworking show at the Dulles Exp Center in N. VA. I only spent an hour and a half there. I didn't see any cleavage at the Jewel Tool display - I guess that is why Brent wasn't there! I picked up some 2-1/2" hose and some small blast gates for my central vac and some tips for a dial gauge, but I just didn't see anything else I wanted or needed. The isles were wide open, and it was the lowest turnout I can ever remember. Maybe Saturday will be busier.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great trip and awesome score, Alan!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:icon_cheers

That top must have some heft to it.

Anxious to see your completed bench.:wsmile:

Wayne

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Great deal Alan. There used to be a place like that in Atlanta (somewhat smaller in size) called Georgia Maple Block and long since gone. I had them make all the table tops and work counters for my restaurants. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS