Win 7 Mobile - Board Foot Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'm sure that your mobile has a basic calculator. Just (all in inches) do length times width times thickness divided by 144. Presto - board feet. Do one board at a time and save the results in memory+.

George

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
No apps needed

Preferred
(used for rough cut kiln dried - sawmill)
Length (rounded down to the nearest foot) X Width (rounded down to the nearest inch) X Thickness (rounded down to the nearest 1/4 inch) / 12 = BF
Example board actual measurements 8'6" X 12 3/4" X 1 1/8" = 8 X 12 X 1 / 12 = 8 BF

Not preferred (used for most rough cut kiln dried - retail)
Length (in decimal inches) X Width (in decimal inches) X thickness (in decimal inches) / 144 = BF
8'6" X 12 3/4" X 1 1/8" = 102 x 12.75 X 1.125 / 144 = 10.16 BF

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks guys!

I'm quite familiar with the calculations, just maybe hoping for a "killer app" :rotflm:

Jeff: In your experience, do you find that most sawyers and "non-retail-outlet" suppliers honor the method 1 calculation i.e. rounding down? One supplier I have dealt with uses method 2 and worse, when the board is not the same width the full length, they use the widest to calculate.

Thanks!
C.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks guys!

I'm quite familiar with the calculations, just maybe hoping for a "killer app" :rotflm:

Jeff: In your experience, do you find that most sawyers and "non-retail-outlet" suppliers honor the method 1 calculation i.e. rounding down? One supplier I have dealt with uses method 2 and worse, when the board is not the same width the full length, they use the widest to calculate.

Thanks!
C.

I can't really say what other sawyers do. I'll let them speak them speak for themselves.

But I will say that since I have purchased very little from other sawyers. The little bit I have purchased has been by the "whack the stack" method of measurement. That's where you look at the stack then whack it with a stick and say a number like 200 and so it is 200 BF.

A more accurate method of measurement is the "truck bed method" and I've sold a lot of lumber by this method. There is approx 4' in between the wheel wells on a full sized pickup and if all your boards are the same length like 8', you can get a pretty good idea how much is in the back of your truck by counting the rows. For example, 10 rows of 4/4 X 8' would be 320 BF since each row would be 32 BF.

I don't know maybe I'm not one to speak on this subject, because I most always under count BF, I'm not very good at it. To make matters worse, I would purposefully not count a few boards or throw in a few extra, if I did count all that were in the back of someones truck. Honestly I think most folks liked the "free" boards almost as good as what they purchased. The plus for me is a clean conscience, which is very important to me. If I ever felt like I shorted someone, I would toss a few more boards in the back of their truck when they were not looking, oddly no one ever complained about it :gar-La;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS