Veritas Scraping plane rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I've had this plane for a few years any haven't used it a lot. Looking back, I thought that since planes are, in general, much more difficult to sharpen tune than card scrapers, I would need to master sharpening a card scraper before I could sharpen and use this effectively. That was 100% wrong. I love card scrapers, but my ability to get the right hook on one is inconsistent at best.

Anyway, I needed to remedy tearout in some cherry and the card scrapers were getting tiresome, so I pulled out the Veritas scraping plane. I have the wide-angle jig for the worksharp, so I started out there for a quick sharpening. After that, putting a hook on it was effortless and I spent a good part of yesterday evening perfecting the surface of bunch of cherry coffee table parts. I had a big pile of curly cherry shavings in no time! Wow...it really holds the hook for a long time, too. This is much easier on the fingers than card scrapers.

I still followed up with a card scraper for a quick final pass - this cherry looks so good it barely needs finish :>

Chris

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have the one I linked to. I don't think they make a smaller one. Except for a #80 cabinet scraper.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
05p2950s6.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62885&cat=1,41182

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder why it isn't listed alongside the other scraping plane in the "specialty planes" section? Oh well, I've always found the organization of their site a bit puzzling. Good to know that is available.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the large one also and really like it for difficult grain. The other day it was making mostly sawdust instead of shavings. I did nothing more than run the burnisher along the edge a few times and it was back to making nice curls instead of sawdust. Eventually I'll need to re-hone the blade but it keeps a very nice burr without a lot of work.

Recommended.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS