Veneering? Anyone in RDU area willing to drum sand for me?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
All
In the context of making a bathroom vanity, I asked previously about how to cover the end panels. Willem noted the commercial practices and some ideas about veneering. I was resisting veneering because I had no experience with it.

In this case I have some smallish pieces of thermally modified ash (2-3' off cuts from Raleigh Reclaimed). I have enough pieces for the drawer fronts, but not enough to make solid ash sides; besides the expansion contraction of a solid panel and plywood, especially in a bathroom, seems problematic.

So with a new to me bandsaw I tried some resawing for veneers. I was pretty pleased with what I could get using a 3" wide piece. Anyone have a drum sander they could run 12-15 SF of veneer strips through? Or if these are already reasonably flat, can I veneer and then just sand the front face?

Onto my how-to questions:

1. What substrate is most appropriate? I have 3/4" birch plywood (not big box sourced) - is that suitable? I need two panels smaller than 24x36 and I am not real excited about 'really flat' MDF, especially in a vanity (obvious water potential). I may have enough 1/2" baltic birch - any reason to go thinner?

2. Is a balance veneer needed here (guessing yes, but I'm still asking)?

3. I know yellow glue is not great for bent laminations, but this is flat stuff. Do I need a veneer glue or is the Titebond 3 glue I have already sufficient?
3b. Is a glue roller really a critical tool?

4. I do not have a veneer vac bag - so I think this will be glued under cauls and clamps. See any issue with the plan, especially for a 1st timer?

thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS