Veneer press

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
On my way down the marquetry rabbit hole I decided I needed a press to use when gluing the finished marquetry onto the substrate. I looked around a bit for one of those antique book presses, but they were just too expensive. I've always wanted a book press (maybe bookbinding is in my future), so I decided to make one using a screw I picked up at an estate sale last year.

Beside the wooden frame there were a few metal parts I had to buy or make. Most of these are shown below, minus the rod and T-connector for the handle.
  1. Pressure plate from 1/4" steel. This helps distribute the force out from the threaded rod.
  2. Screws for pressure plate to cross block.
  3. Bolts for connecting the cross block to the main platen.
  4. Two sets of thrust bearings to transfer the force and reduce wear on the pressure plate while turning the screw.
  5. Stop collar made from hex bolt to hold the plate and bearings onto the rod.
  6. Threaded nut for the rod. The threaded rod was one end of the bar from a set of weights. It came with a couple of screws that would have originally held the weights from sliding.
  7. Screws for attaching the nut.
1726704655867.png

This is the final result. The woods are oak and walnut. I had a 10/4 piece of red oak left over from my workbench. It had been taking up space in the shop for many years, but I finally put it to use. The construction uses wedged through tenons and dove condor tails. The size of the gluing area is about 11" x 18", which is more than enough for most of the projects I have planned.

1726704752702.png

1726704942086.png
1726704995570.png

1726705056434.png
1726705083239.png

1726705210644.png

Attachments

• 1726704087200.png
    1726704087200.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

MTod

Michael
Corporate Member
Nice design, great execution. I like your engineering and your eye for proportions and ornamentation.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice press, my wife has one of the old cast iron book presses. She studied book arts in collehge, has a master's degree in it. We have three printing presses and all the lead type cabinets, etc.

If you get serious about binding a book I'm sure she could give lesson or two.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, all! I'll answer a few questions/comments together in this post.

Nice design, great execution. I like your engineering and your eye for proportions and ornamentation.
I try to make tools I find pleasing to the eye as well as the hands when in use.

I envy your ability to make shop items look like they can sit next to fine furniture.
One of my goals when making shop furnishings is to use the experience as a learning opportunity. I look for ways to practice joinery, try ornamentation, etc. Sometimes it works / sometimes not. You always learn from the experience, though.

Hope you plan to use hide glue?
Definitely. I did make a couple of melamine platens I will use when gluing. This will keep the glue off the press and make for easy cleanup.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice press, my wife has one of the old cast iron book presses. She studied book arts in collehge, has a master's degree in it. We have three printing presses and all the lead type cabinets, etc.

If you get serious about binding a book I'm sure she could give lesson or two.

Wow! Thanks, Mike. I may take you up on this offer some time. I've dabbled in bookbinding many years ago and bound a couple of blank journals. It was fun and I think something like these make a great gift. I took a short class with the book printers at Colonial Williamsburg last year where we set the type, printed and sewed together a small pamphlet. Very enjoyable.

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
On my way down the marquetry rabbit hole I decided I needed a press to use when gluing the finished marquetry onto the substrate. I looked around a bit for one of those antique book presses, but they were just too expensive. I've always wanted a book press (maybe bookbinding is in my future), so I decided to make one using a screw I picked up at an estate sale last year.

Beside the wooden frame there were a few metal parts I had to buy or make. Most of these are shown below, minus the rod and T-connector for the handle.
  1. Pressure plate from 1/4" steel. This helps distribute the force out from the threaded rod.
  2. Screws for pressure plate to cross block.
  3. Bolts for connecting the cross block to the main platen.
  4. Two sets of thrust bearings to transfer the force and reduce wear on the pressure plate while turning the screw.
  5. Stop collar made from hex bolt to hold the plate and bearings onto the rod.
  6. Threaded nut for the rod. The threaded rod was one end of the bar from a set of weights. It came with a couple of screws that would have originally held the weights from sliding.
  7. Screws for attaching the nut.
View attachment 231545

This is the final result. The woods are oak and walnut. I had a 10/4 piece of red oak left over from my workbench. It had been taking up space in the shop for many years, but I finally put it to use. The construction uses wedged through tenons and dove condor tails. The size of the gluing area is about 11" x 18", which is more than enough for most of the projects I have planned.

View attachment 231546

View attachment 231547 View attachment 231548

View attachment 231549 View attachment 231550
View attachment 231551
Super awesome job Jim!!! Very creative & imaginative “OTB” implementation. 👍😎

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, beautiful work as always! On seeing the pictures, my first impression was a collaboration between you and Pop-Pop (your eye for tool design and craftsmanship and Mike's love of all things vises).

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
On seeing the pictures, my first impression was a collaboration between you and Pop-Pop
It's funny you should mention that. I picked up the threaded rod thinking I would build one of Mike's vises some time, but then found that I needed the press sooner. I was definitely thinking off Mike as I built it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS