[UPDATED] And the peppermill making begins ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
After a Turn & Learn last month with peppermills as the topic, I've decided they will be a good gift for many at Christmas.

This past weekend I got a start on it ... and learned a "hard" turning lesson. The lesson being ... turning end grain is nearly impossible -- especially with Padauk! However, I didn't learn this until I had glued up and prepped some blanks ... then put them on the lathe and thought I was turning a rock.

These just weren't meant to be ...

:BangHead:

But I got wise and started over with some soft maple, walnut and cherry glue ups ... and here is where I got. Still need to do the tops more and then polish them up, but they are going pretty good.

:cool:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Re: And the peppermill making begins ...

Keep the pics coming!!!

woodArtz

New User
Bob

Looks good Jeremy! I like the glue-ups :icon_thum. You have quite the assembly line going there. I'm right there with you... just finished my eighth one for the season this past Saturday.

J

jeff...

One problem - they are round... make a square one

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Come on you can turn end grain. Don't you have the new lightsaber gouge.:gar-La;

That's a shame you can't turn the end grain. they would have looked really good. You can send them to me and I will beat them into submission. :gar-Bi.

Actually they might make a cool little bowl if you split them and get the lightsaber gouge.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Looking good:icon_thum sorry about the end grain - maybe you can make a cutting board out of them:dontknow:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

Well, the peppermill Christmas gifts are coming towards an end. Yesterday I buffed them up and today most will be packaged to be shipped out. Most turned out decent, though all had something I'd change.

I'm sure there will be more in my future ...

IMG_9295.JPG

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

Well, I had time today for two more ... so I thought I'd share. These are probably the best yet (from me)

IMG_9305.JPG

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Well, I had time today for two more ... so I thought I'd share. These are probably the best yet (from me)

IMG_9305.JPG
Nice job Jeremy. I think the one on the right is my favorite:gar-La;

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Looks like you are putting that mustard monster to work!

Those grinders are looking good! I'm with Tracy, but I'd be happy to let any of them grace my kitchen.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Looking good Jeremy! Lots of happy folks on Christmas morning. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. They look fantastic, beautiful finish too - what did you use? And the discarded blanks - looks like half a cutting board to me :)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Wow. They look fantastic, beautiful finish too - what did you use? And the discarded blanks - looks like half a cutting board to me :)

They are finished with carnuba wax using the Beall Wood Buff (link) system. That thing is really nice ... I highly recommend it to anyone with a lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS