Turn a Sewing Machine into a Scroll Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am cheap. I like to recycle. Just the same, that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I have seen. Sewing machines typically have far less power than scroll saws and by that I mean like 1/4 to 1/2 the power. There was a Craftsman saw that takes pin blades and not flat; I owned one an I am sure others have. They are typically under $20 on the used market. They are better saws than a cobbled up sewing machine. Just my opinion...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
:nah:That goes along with the idea that you could put a sawsall blade in an electric turkey carving knife. It will work - sort of, not really, maybe never. but you could sell a few on the HF sidewalk.:rotflm:

Actually Singer used to make a serrated knife blade with a needle mount that could be used to cut light leather. I remember my mother bought one. I think that is when I learned the term POS

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:nah:That goes along with the idea that you could put a sawsall blade in an electric turkey carving knife. It will work - sort of, not really, maybe never. but you could sell a few on the HF sidewalk.:rotflm:

Actually Singer used to make a serrated knife blade with a needle mount that could be used to cut light leather. I remember my mother bought one. I think that is when I learned the term POS

Better yet market a collection of stainless steel meat cutter blades for jig saws, sawsalls and circular saws.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Too many good, purpose built, reliable, cheap jig saws laying about to fool with rebuilding a sewing machine.

Only reason I can see to do that is just to say you did it. To which my answer is "Why?"

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I thought this would be about using an old cast iron foot pedal machine (I have several of them). This seems like a lot of trouble and weak too.

I gave some thought once to converting one of mine to a lathe. I would have only used the table/pedal/pulley - not the machine. I never got around to it as I have a decent CM lathe which does't get much use. Seems like Roy Underhill did something like that once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS