Tormek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herb

New User
Herb
Any users having problems with the wheel stopping when changing grits. Mine sometimes slows are comes to a stop, even though the
pressure
is not that great.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Try tightening the lug nut. That is what was wrong with mine. They have the threads set up so that it will come loose intentionally if it gets too much pressure on it, and rightfully so. I read it or saw it in a video, and found out first hand that it was a good thing after catching a rag and my finger in the thing.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
EDIT: Oops, I must have been typing at the same time as Travis. But I was longer winded:swoon:.

It is probably just loose and needs to be tightened. There is 19mm nut on the side of the grinding wheel that holds the wheel to shaft. Hold the large leather honing wheel to make sure the shaft doesn't turn and turn the 19mm nut clockwise to tighten up. I have the 2000 so the nut might be a different on size depending on the model number.

The other possibility, besides motor issues, is the motor drive mechanism. It does not use a belt or gear train. The drive shaft sticks out through the unit housing and contacts the inside rim of the honing wheel and drives that by friction. So if the honing wheel is loose on the main shaft, it is the same type of problem as above. You now use the 19 mm nut on the grinding wheel to hold the shaft still, while tightening the honing wheel. Depending on the accessories that you have, there are 2 different ways. If there are no accessories wheels then just use the black knob. If you have accessories then there is a spacer between the honing wheel and the accessories. The spacer has 2 flats on it so you can use a 9mm (I think that is the size) wrench on these to do the tightening.

The final possibility is that the motor shaft and the inside rim of the honing wheel are not making a good enough friction contact. The motor mount can be adjusted, but right now I was just banned from the shop by the LOML so I can't go out and see it, so I can explain it. But if that's the problem, let me know I'll go out tomorrow and look.

Herb

New User
Herb
Thanks, to all. I will give your advise a try. Mine is a 2000 and have had it for sometime, but never used it. Trying to make up for lost time.

Thank you,

Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS