Tool Cabinet: Completed Construction Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
After many months, I finally completed the construction phase of my tool cabinet! While there are a number of aspects I wish I could do over, in general I am pleased with the result. As I was building various components I seldom had "Norm moments" (e.g., "perfect", or "that looks good", or "that fits nicely"); my moments were more along the lines of "how did that happen?" That said, I tried to work through those issues and I am very appreciative of the advice that many of you offered, thank you! Below are some photos of the project. Over the next week or two I will be do the finish work.

Cheers,
Donn
Tool_Chest_101.JPG

View image in gallery

Tool_Chest_103.JPG

View image in gallery

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Very nicely done. I like the proportions. Looking forward to the finishing results.

Do you have plans for a top box or did I miss that discussion in the previous thread?

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
The tool cabinet looks very nice. Great job!!:icon_cheers You can be proud of the job you did.
Be sure to post photos after you apply the finish.

Lyell

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Donn, that's a real beauty! :notworthy: Not only do I want to see it w/ a finish, but I want to see it full of tools. :eusa_danc

Bill

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Congratulations Donn, it looks great. You stuck with it and worked through the problems... :eusa_clap
Your future work will benefit from that.

bobby g

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!

What a beautiful cabinet. Are you sure that it is worthy of tools and not fine silverware.:wsmile:

Sure beats my Sears Craftsman tool chest!:embarrassed:

I am sure that it will last many, many years and you will be able to proudly display and find your precious tools.

That QS oak really looks pretty and drawer slides look spot on. I too am anxious to see your finishing schedule.

Very well done, Donn!:icon_thum:eusa_danc:icon_thum:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Wayne

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nicely done, indeed! :icon_cheers The through tenons certainly add a nice flair to the piece. Lots of precise design and careful execution with a few on site adjustments as you noted. Improvisation is a unique tool in the shop.

Post more pics when finished. Are you sure that your wife will not confiscate the piece for silver and table napkin storage in the house?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement, I am most appreciative. Several of you mentioned "through tenons," in the interest of full-disclosure the tenons on this project are false-tenons. Also, Mark asked about another smaller cabinet that sits on top of the primary cabinet...I plan to build it after I complete a project requested by my daughter.

Again, thank you for comments; I will post pictures after all of the finish work is completed.

Donn

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Very nice. Very very nice actually.

Dont beat yourself up over the "design revisions".

1. They happen, and your skills grow more by actually making mistakes than reading about them, and

2. "Perfect" furniture can be made in a factory all day long. This one is all yours.

Great job!

bwat

New User
Bill
Very nice indeed!:icon_thum:icon_thum Another of my "rountuit" projects.

As they say, all woodworkers make mistakes, the best woodworkers have learned how to recover from them.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
That is a really fine shop cabinet. This type of woodwork in the shop helps to inspire one to do their best work. You did'nt say this, but the cabinet looks like the one from a past issue of ShopNotes magazine. :thumbs_up

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
I have to say those "problems" are far too noticeable. PM me your address and I will remove it and you will agonize over them no longer. :gar-Bi

Very nice!:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS