The Genie in the Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi folks,

At the risk of being incredibly boring..I'm posting the results of taking the "Flash in the can MkII" meant for use with a big Oneida or the like cyclone, and putting it in my little trash can cyclone baffle pre-collector.

CIMG3711.JPG

CIMG3733.JPG

CIMG3714.JPG

Remember, these are low (12 volt) voltage dead cool sensors, so no danger having them in the can. I hooked it up and got busy on some Sycamore for the next rocker today.

I deliberately didn't look in the can to see how things were going..so I was surprised when the strobe lit up..even though I couldn't see a chip level in the flasher window (flasher now removed). I could see the chips flying by the window as would the Genie units see them passing in front of them...but the actual chip level was below the window.:eek:
CIMG3725.JPG

The Genies did exactly what they were supposed to.
I had mounted them about an inch below the baffle...you can see them lit up in one of the pics. I had picked the right place to mount them because I knew the cyclone chip pattern in the can..and put the receiver right above that point.:widea:

You can see the small depression at the top of the chip mound...and the chip level below the window. When the "steady-state chip level blocked the receiver, the strobe lit.
CIMG3729.JPG

In the past when the flasher was blocked it was already too late and I was already drawing chips into the main Grizz collector bottom bag. The top of the mound is 8" below the rim of the trash can , and the bottom of the baffle is 7" below the rim. When you shake the can and equalize the chips..the level actually ends up about 9" below the rim. I could probably move the Genies a bit higher, but this is fine with me. Getting an inch more chips in the can isn't worth the hassle of cleaning out the main bag.

After seeing this, I replaced the lid and baffle and the strobe went out. I thought at first it had been a false alarm, but as soon as I started running another board, the strobe lit up and told me to stop. That thing is BRIGHT!!

As soon as the circuits get here, I'm building another system for the jointer can. :gar-Bi

Take care,

Don

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Don,
I liked the way it came out on the Thien seperator, I was wondering how you were going to adapt it from the cylcone version. Nice job :icon_thum and I can't wait to get mine going.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the conversion, Don.:icon_thum
Can you go ahead an make an extra one for me while you're at it:gar-La;

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don,
I liked the way it came out on the Thien seperator, I was wondering how you were going to adapt it from the cylcone version. Nice job :icon_thum and I can't wait to get mine going.

Jimmy,

The circuit boards should be here tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.:wsmile:

Don

"Knowledge is knowing that the street is one-way, ..wisdom is looking both ways anyway":gar-La;

Touchwood

New User
Don
Nice job on the conversion, Don.:icon_thum
Can you go ahead an make an extra one for me while you're at it:gar-La;

Randy,

If you want one I can probably get another circuit board. Let me know...putting it together is no big deal.

Don

"If pro is the opposite of con, then what's the opposite of progress?":rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks Don ! :icon_thum

I've got the light and sensors, now once I get the rest I've just got to finish the rest of the Dust collection set up . :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS