The best tool rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
what is the best tool rest to get for getting close to the inside of deep bowls and the best place to get them

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Don't think you'll need one. How close do you want to get? You should be able to get away with the straight rest, especially with small bowls.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have something that I am turning that is about 5 inches deep and I am making a candle holder out of it - I want to get deeper but can't get my rest any closer and I keep get "bites" i guess you would call it - even with my smaller bowls I still can't get as deep as I want to because my tool does not have enough support:dontknow: Or I am just doing something wrong

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Philip,
Make them,get a piece of 1 inch solid bar stock and cut off at the appropriate length.Drill and tap the end and then make 1/2" thick by 1 or 2" wide flat stock by 3 to 4 " lengths and drill and countersink for a flat head cap screw and wallah!I put a LED on the leading edge of one of mine and it allows me to see inside my deep hollowing forays.Battery powered.
Greg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
How long is the rest?

It is the 12" one - that is why I need another one

Philip,
Make them,get a piece of 1 inch solid bar stock and cut off at the appropriate length.Drill and tap the end and then make 1/2" thick by 1 or 2" wide flat stock by 3 to 4 " lengths and drill and countersink for a flat head cap screw and wallah!I put a LED on the leading edge of one of mine and it allows me to see inside my deep hollowing forays.Battery powered.
Greg

Thanks Greg - great idea - I know a guy that runs a metal shop and I will talk to him about what I need

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Get some stock and weld you one or two up just like you want it

tool_rest2.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phillip, you have the HF lathe. I picked up a 4" Jet tool rest from WC. Don't remember the price but it was reasonable. The shaft was 1". It did not fit as the HF is metric. About 30 second on the grinding wheel and all was right with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS