Teaching my 13 yo DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
She wants to make a grooming box for her soon to be pony.

She found a picture of what she wants to make, got some rough measurements and picked out some white oak from the stack. Next we do layout and start cutting.

Contour sanding on the disc sander
PowerSanding.jpg

Cutting dados for the bottom
Dado2.jpg

Chiseling the ends of the stopped dados
Chisel1.jpg

Turning a handle on the lathe
Lathe12.jpg

Hand sanding all over
Sanding1.jpg

Stained and ready to varnish
Stained.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Tom,

it's a box to carry the grooming tools, similar to an open top tool box like Roy carries in the opening of his show only smaller.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
What a Dad ! Most teenage girls want a pony. Your girl actually gets one!
Please post some pictures when you get it carved....

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Tim,

When she was 8 or 9 she wanted a pony, we said if she took care of a goat for a couple years and showed she could be responsible she could get a pony. Well, she raised the goats and got her pony, kept it for a couple years and decided she needed lessons more than the pony. She sold it and has been learning a lot since than.

A few months ago a friend of hers introduced her to some folks near Raleigh that have a Chincoteague pony ranch. These are ponies that made the swim from the island and were raised on this ranch. Now they are retiring, selling most of the stock and the last pony needed a home, they decided to gift the last one to my daughter after she rode one of their ponies in a show and placed well.

She's working on cleaning up an old barn on our new place and putting up fencing. The pony is going to a trainer for a month and then will come here. I worked all day Saturday mowing and dragging out old rusty fence wire.

When she makes up her mind to do something she studies all the material she can find on the subject, makes a plan and jumps in shoulder deep.

P7010014.JPG

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Mike,

Your daughter has admirable traits. She's a mover & shaker when she sets her mind to it! I know that you're proud of her.

As you already know, pics are a must or it didn't happen!

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
WOW Mike , that's a girl to be proud of. Maybe good parenting works. We have three daughter's. All married, and with husbands and grandkids worth lovin'. It's ALL about family .

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wowie, Mike!

Looks like she has taken to woodworking like a duck to water.:wsmile:

No doubt she had a good teacher. You may have to watch out! She may soon claim ownership to your shop!

Great photo's and impressive work.

Wayne

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Very impressive young lady, I venture to say the sky's the limit for her.

You should be (I'm sure are) very proud Mike! :icon_thum

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS