Tablesaw Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

westslopecutt

New User
westslopecutt
Hi everyone,

So I just recently acquired an old Craftsman 100 tablesaw, handed down from my grandfather. I'm going to put a Power Twist belt on it, and maybe replace the pulleys to try and get it running as smooth as I can. The table doesn't have any extension wings on it, so it is pretty small, about 20" wide by 27" deep. I want to build a cabinet for it with an outfeed support as well as side supports. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to replace the fence track with to be able to extend out to the side extension tables I'm going to build? And also, any suggestions for aftermarket safety switches. I see that Rockler sells one for about $25 that looks pretty easy to turn off in a hurry. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the input.

Greg

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I also have a C'man 100. I upgraded the fence by installing a Delta T2. I believe they are still in production. Retail is about $150 and it works very well for my needs. It is also possible to add one of the more recent Craftsman Aligner units for about the same money.

If you can, locate or fabricate one of the paddle/bump switches. A foot operated switch could also work.

The power twist should be fine. Watch out as they are directional. Go for machined pulleys rather than the diecast. They run a lot smoother.

If it has not been done before, now would be a good time to replace both the arbor and motor bearings. This would also allow you to clean and lubricate the internals.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used pieces of narrow Unistrut to extend my fence guides. I removed the old angle iron and drilled holes in the strut to match the holes in the saw top. You may need to adjust the depth of the standoff bushings to make the distance equal to the old dimension front to back of the angle. Be sure to get the strut down the proper height or the miter bar will rub when it goes over it. DAMHIKT

westslopecutt

New User
westslopecutt
Thanks for the ideas guys. Sorry about the slow reply. I will definitely have a look at the Unistrut.
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to replace the fence or not. I don't really have the money do buy a new fence right now, but maybe down the road a bit. How difficult is it to replace arbor and motor bearings? And what do you suggest for cleaning and lubricating them if I decided to try it? Thanks again.

Greg

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to replace the fence or not. I don't really have the money do buy a new fence right now, but maybe down the road a bit.
Depending on your metal working skills and equiptment, you could make a fence very similar to a Beisemeyer(sp?).

How difficult is it to replace arbor and motor bearings?
That will depend on your tooling and past experience. I would suggest that you join http://www.owwm.org and research that question. I have done a couple and they have been fairly straight forward. The bearings are quite reasonable for the arbor and the motor. You might even be able to locate someone to do the swap for you and you just handle the cleaning and cosmetics. I would warn you that refurbing a machine can be the start of a bad distraction from your woodworking.

And what do you suggest for cleaning and lubricating them if I decided to try it? Thanks again.
The bearings are sealed and don't need anything further. For the adjusting mechanics, I use a waxy material that I get from a Bicycle store that dries and is not sticky. You can also find a dry Moly lube. Paraffin is also a good choice. Oil and grease just trap sawdust and eventually jam your adjusters.

Greg

Here are a couple of related reads
http://www.woodbutcher.net/craftts.shtml
http://woodgears.ca/table_saw/index.html

Good luck and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS