SweetGum Open Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisnobody

New User
Ted
This is a SweetGum Open Form I rough-turned in August and final turned in Febuary.
8" diameter x 4" deep with a homebrew Danish"ish" Oil Finish.
sweetgumflaretopbowl.jpg

View image in gallery

Thanks For Looking.
TED

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Love the grain and splating. Nice job showing off what nature has created.:thumbs_up

thisnobody

New User
Ted
Yeah it ovaled out about 1" or so, good thing I left the walls 1" thick. I always leave the walls thicker than the common 10% to accomadate for design elements I may want to add later.
This bowl was roughed-out without the flared top and I turned it in during the final turning.
I think sweetgum is fairly stable while drying as far as checks/cracks but it does move considerably.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow - very nice! :icon_thum :eusa_clap

I think sweetgum is fairly stable while drying as far as checks/cracks but it does move considerably.

I have dried several spindle blanks with almost no cracking, but it twists like a rope!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful work.

I have eight 5' sweet gum logs in the yard right now (12" to 24" diameter) all end sealed, that I intend to try to make usable lumber out of. I have access to several more. If my attempts to making boards out of them fail, what advice would you give me for making turning blanks out of them. I do not turn, but would be glad to make blanks available to those that do. Hate to see wood go to waste.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS