Suggestions for flex shaft carver

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Y'all, I had a rotary tool (non dremel) with a flex shaft that came in a kit from Northern Tools. The flex shaft sheath burned in to. Northern does not offer any replacement parts and it would probably cost more than what I paid for the whole kit anyway. My question is does anyone use a flex shaft power carver and how does it hold up? Any advice for a decent carver at a decent price would be appreciated. I am not a carver by trade but do use them on my custom frames. Thanks. Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
There are two basic types of serious flex shaft carving tools - Foredom and Foredom knock offs. I have a cheap imported knock off. Any hanging motor carver is a big step up from the hand held models fitted with a shaft. They have a lot more power, usually a better range of speeds and they don't burn up as easy since they have large metal housings that disappate heat a lot better than a motor in a hand held that has to keep the housing from getting too hot to hold.

I would price a Foredom before looking at alternatives.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, I own a Foredom with numerous bits. The machine works great as long as you do not bend the flex shaft too much. I really do not use the machine much so here is the deal. If you want to try it for 3 or 4 months see if you can arrange a PE from Raleigh or I could just send it via UPS, your call. Let me know I just want it back by ---- lets say June
Happy Holidays
Phil

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I don't think fordom was the first but they are the best available these days. I have an old du-mor? spelling? [looks like a fordom sorta] it was my grandfathers and he used it at work for several years. he retired 28 years ago so this thing must be at least 30 years old. i'm thinkin maybe older. it's a joy to use and has all the power I need. you might get lucky on E-bay and find one on the cheap. I have a friend who uses the fordom for carving and he said he went through half a dozen dremel's in less than a year. FWIW I would avoid dremel.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If you have an air compressor with 4 cfm at 90 psi or greater capability you should consider an air powered die grinder. They make one for 1/8" bits that is are only about 1" diameter, which makes them very comfortable to use. I've carved with Dremel, Fordom, and others, but the best carver that I've ever found is my 1/8" die grinder. It is faster and has much less torque pull than the electrical versions of the 1/8" grinders, which makes it much easier to use. They are available from the industrial suppliers like, WTTOOL, McMaster, etc. and run about $60. With an inline oiler it will last much longer than a Dremel too.

Charley

CarvedTones

Andy
Oh yeah, about handpieces...

The knock off I have came with a knock off of the H30 handpiece, the 3 jaw chuck that Foredom says is their most popular. Of course, 90% of the time (maybe more) I am using something with a 3/32" shaft and one of the quick release collete handpieces would be nice. Some of those are thinner, more like a pencil.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Steve, I own a Foredom with numerous bits. The machine works great as long as you do not bend the flex shaft too much. I really do not use the machine much so here is the deal. If you want to try it for 3 or 4 months see if you can arrange a PE from Raleigh or I could just send it via UPS, your call. Let me know I just want it back by ---- lets say June
Happy Holidays
Phil
That is a most generous offer Phil. Let me check around a little more first. I hate to borrow tools because I am always afraid that something will happen to them then I have to buy two. I am leaning towards the Foredom tool anyway. Thanks. Steve

blkdog09

New User
Chris
Hey fella's

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here as I am a power carver (decoys).

Foredom is the cadillac.......no doubt about it, but I use a Weecher. 1/4hp forward and reverse, foot pedal, and about 1/2 the price of the foredom. been using it for 3 years now, and no problems.

Just a thought!

CarvedTones

Andy
I mentioned that I have a knock off earlier, yet still recommended the Foredom. For sake of completeness, I will 'fess up to exactly what I have and tell you what you might expect as trade offs at the really low end. I have one of these:
http://www.homier.com/new-variable-speed-1-3hp-flex-shaft-grinder-carver.html
Comparatively cheap, but still $60 by the time it is in your hands, so it is worth considering paying more for a better unit. I have had mine a couple of years and used it quite a bit. The foot pedal is junk; I had to rebend the sheet metal for the top piece to fit better because it would come apart and I had to insulate the underside of it with that fancy silver gray tape to keep it from giving me a charge from time to time. With those mods, it has worked okay. I say "okay" because it isn't that smooth; it's hard to keep a consistent slow speed. For most stuff I am running at a high speed and it is fine. They claim a top end of 15,000 and I don't have any way to verify that, but while it is plenty fast for anything I have done, I can tell it is slower than my little Dremel. 1/3 HP as they measure it is probably about the same as the Weecher at 1/4 and is plenty. In fact, you have to be careful with really agressive bits because they gain traction and will run across your workpiece in a split second if you let them (DAMHIKT). It does not have reverse. The supplied handset with chuck will handle all the rotary bits I have tried.
I am happy with it for the price paid, but in retrospect this is a tool I could justify paying more for, if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS