Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I bought a bunch of these to replace some really poor switches on my tools:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-220V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8243
h8243.jpg

The smaller electrical boxes are not deep enough to fit the switch. The larger square-ish ones are just barely big enough. The large PVC ones fit but they will cost 10$ a piece after buying strain relief.

Any recommendations for alternatives?
Thanks!
Salem

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wood is a pretty good insulator. Know anyone who might could whip you up few nice wooden boxes? :wink_smil

eyekode

New User
Salem
Wood is a pretty good insulator. Know anyone who might could whip you up few nice wooden boxes? :wink_smil

Actually due to the construction of these I am not sure wood is a good idea. I think the mounting screws should be grounded. But the gauge is sooo small that just wrapping it won't work. They really are not engineered to be ground screws. In a metal box they would normally both be grounded due to connecting to the grounded metal box. I guess I could use one of those small ring connectors...

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I think if you take it to an electrical supply house (like Womack or Sheppard) they'll be able to fix you up with a low cost solution.

Regards,
Bob

DaveD

New User
Dave
I've done something similar for 50A welding outlets that needed more room for the big wires.

Buy whatever size steel box you need/want and also get the blank cover for it. Cut out whatever sized hole you need to mount the switch to/in the blank cover.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I've done something similar for 50A welding outlets that needed more room for the big wires.

Buy whatever size steel box you need/want and also get the blank cover for it. Cut out whatever sized hole you need to mount the switch to/in the blank cover.

Oh that has some promise for surface mount. If I use a double gang box it should work fine.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks again for all the ideas. I wanted to build one into a cabinet and the other surface mount. With your suggestions I think I can finish it :).
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS