Steady Rest Sneak Peek

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If you've turned on a lathe, then you'll understand the need for a steady rest (something that keeps the workpiece from vibrating, and thus the tool chattering during the cut). I've been wanting one but good quality metal ones can run $500+ ... well, I'm getting closer to having one!

My neighbor is a metalworker and his job at Phillip Morris comes to an end next year sometime. He's looking for things he can fabricate and sell ... and as we shot around ideas a couple of my wish list items ... a spindle steady and bowl steady ... came up.

So, here's a sneak peek at the prototype. It doesn't have the wheels installed yet, and it will be powdercoated probably. However, if this works out I think he'll have some products geared-towards woodworkers who don't have the equipment for metalwork too. What do you think?

steadyrest-wip.jpg

Last edited:

JohnW

New User
John
Looks well made Jeremy. He has the adjustable arms, what looks to be an easy mount bolt on system and the flanged circle looks plenty sturdy.

I've never seen one first hand so this is an uninformed question/comment. The adjustable arms are static. Do the high dollar rests have a lock mechanism on the arms, or are they spring loaded? I thought the wheels on the arms might have a spring mount to give just a little "firm" play, thus limiting any markings on the turned piece.

Anyway, I've heard other say having the steady rest would be nice but they are too expensive.

Hmmmm How about some mobility kits. Looks like he has the tallent to make them too. Similar to the ones you showed me recently....Actually, if he took "custom" orders, I would think a non-adjustable mobility kit would be much sturdier than the adjustable kind.

And how about a scissor lift table. Welding the scissors with a simple hand crank is something else to consider.

Just some thoughts.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I should be strong enough.
What kind of wheels do you plan on using?
The ones on mine make one heck of a lot of noise (wish I had better ones)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I should be strong enough.
What kind of wheels do you plan on using?
The ones on mine make one heck of a lot of noise (wish I had better ones)

Well, glad you asked. I am researching that ... but not sure what I'm looking for. Any recommendations?

I planned on using roller blade wheels ... probably with some good ball bearings I suppose.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
If change mine I am going to look for better bearings and softer tires.
Would suggest trying a few different ones.
And when you find good ones please tell me about them :gar-La;

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looks well made Jeremy. He has the adjustable arms, what looks to be an easy mount bolt on system and the flanged circle looks plenty sturdy.

I've never seen one first hand so this is an uninformed question/comment. The adjustable arms are static. Do the high dollar rests have a lock mechanism on the arms, or are they spring loaded? I thought the wheels on the arms might have a spring mount to give just a little "firm" play, thus limiting any markings on the turned piece.

Anyway, I've heard other say having the steady rest would be nice but they are too expensive.

Hmmmm How about some mobility kits. Looks like he has the tallent to make them too. Similar to the ones you showed me recently....Actually, if he took "custom" orders, I would think a non-adjustable mobility kit would be much sturdier than the adjustable kind.

And how about a scissor lift table. Welding the scissors with a simple hand crank is something else to consider.

Just some thoughts.

The mobile base idea is already floated out there ... afterall, my lathe needs one!:eusa_thin I've been so disappointed with mobile bases (except for the new Jet brand ones), maybe he can come up with something better.

He's a full time metalworker for Phillip Morris and very skilled. Now he's got my mind stirring on other ideas where he could target service woodworkers.

The arms are adjustable. In the prototype it is using a hex bolt that tightens against the post. Some of the market ones use a plastic handled bolt, or just a regular wrench bolt. As for the spring ... dunno. I think the type of wheels used will have to be "soft" so as not to mar the surface.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I like the mobile base idea too. As for wheels try in-line skate wheels. They have some of the best sealed bearings and are made of durable materials that should not hurt the workpiece.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Keep us posted. We have a lot of folks here that probably be interested.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Jeremy... I need a swing away feature for my tailstock. Should be relatively easy to make for someone with this fellow's talent. You can work on the prototype for your PM3520B... then you may have other PM owners lining up :wink_smil. Just a thought...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Hey Jeremy... I need a swing away feature for my tailstock. Should be relatively easy to make for someone with this fellow's talent. You can work on the prototype for your PM3520B... then you may have other PM owners lining up :wink_smil. Just a thought...

You are RIGHT! Can't believe that didn't come to me earlier ... that would be a really nice enhancement for the lathe! I'll be talking to him soon, so I'll bring that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS