Starting a Quilt Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Well, LOML wants me to build her friend a wall-mounted quilt rack. I am working towards something I saw on the interwebz at http://www.steveweb.net/ (search quilt rack)

My dovetail skills are less than stellar (using Craftsman bench chisels), so I will hold it all together with dowels.

I jointed and planed some oak, with nice results. I used the 60 cpi and 90 cpi on my Delta 22-580. I hope to get it all together over the weekend (except for the finish).

If it doesn't turn out to my liking, no worries, as I have more oak. :wink_smil

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like a good project and one that includes several skills. Look forward to seeing photo progress.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a prefect project to practice your dove-tailing skills on. They are not prominently displayed allowing you to be OK with minor imperfections. And the stock size isn't to great to make re-do too painfully.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out for you :icon_thum:icon_thum

My sister paid $200 for a similarly designed Pine quilt rack with screw and plug joinery :roll::roll::no::no:

Dave:)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I wonder if, using 1/2" thick oak, if I can use a keyhole router bit and make solid slots for hanging the rack? Maybe give 1/2" to the left & right of the keyhole, for centering the rack "just so" on the wall. The rack will probably be heavier than the quilt.

J

jeff...

I made one of those to the wife's specifications few years ago. It was a easy score brownie points project. and yes those are ROUND oak dowels that I cut from square stock on my router table.

P101000243.JPG

P101000139.JPG

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Measure twice, cut once...ask twice :BangHead:

Now LOML's friend says the quilt will be a "wall-hanging" 4-ft wide. :eusa_doh:

I will do some sawing, jointing and planing before Sunday football.

Something that long will be a hassle to hang with 3 keyhole slots, so I will opt to mount it using 3 screws (16" OC) hidden by plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS