Square peg - round hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
when inserting one (square) blank into one ( round ) barracuda chuck should the corners go between the jaws or centered in each jaw ? :help:

......did that make sense ? :icon_scra

TIA for any and all input :icon_thum

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
That is a no, no. The chuck won't hold it correcly. Turn the bottom round between centers then use the chuck.

Or you can build this.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I should have been more specific ....I am talking about the larger ( square ) blanks
....like when you make bottle stoppers :banana:

Good links from both of you .........thanx :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
duster - I chuck my bottle stopper blanks up with the corners between the jaws - I either turn them then like Ken does or just bore and tap them and then turn them on the mandrel - I have had good results either way - as long as your block is square to start with I see no problem

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Are you using a center on the other end? I hope so. From a practical stand point, you have to go with the corners between the jaws; otherwise it may spin a little at a time from resistance to cutting and then the corners get to the gaps and it comes loose.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
IIRC there is an indention in the middle of the #2 jaws that is designed to accept the corners of a square blank. I might be thinking about my Talon chuck, though:eusa_thin

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS