Speaking of Morons....

Status
Not open for further replies.

welldigger

New User
Scott
I'm working on a stand for my new LCD TV. I cut the side panels to the correct height with 3/8" rabbets on top, and 3/8" dado's 3/4" from the bottom. Cut top to correct length. Cut 3/8" dado's in the center of the bottom and top for divider. Set bottom on 2 clamps and clamped sides to bottom. Could not get top to fit right.(sides were square to bottom) Measured bottom panel (44") measured between rabbets for top(43-3/4"). :dontknow: Scratched head.:icon_scra Measured depth of rabbets & dado's.They were correct. Scratched head some more:icon_scra. Finally after I was bald headed I realized that the bottom had bowed from the clamps.:BangHead: I put a 3/4" plywood scrap on the clamp under the dado on the bottom panel to support it and every thing fit perfectly.:icon_chee DOH! Some times woodworking can be very frustrating!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey I resemble that remark...and have done the same thing. BTDT and have the T-shirt. I have learned to trust my measurements. If the top, bottom and shelves are all cut at the same size (stop blocks) and all rabbets and dadoes are cut to the right depth (single machine set-up and flat square stock)...then they all will go together.
Cutting the same pieces or the same joints at the same time, can make this happen.

This won't help with the clamp bowing issue, but might avoid some of the hair loss from the head scratchin' trying to figure out what the problem is.
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
If the top, bottom and shelves are all cut at the same size (stop blocks) and all rabbets and dadoes are cut to the right depth (single machine set-up and flat square stock)...then they all will go together.
Cutting the same pieces or the same joints at the same time, can make this happen.

Yep, and they'll all be too big or too small and you can scrap them all at the same time - handy:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, and they'll all be too big or too small and you can scrap them all at the same time - handy:rotflm:

Well that was only theory, often theory doesn't mirror reality :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS