So, What Did I Learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have bugged and aggravated a lot on this site since I started to build the end tables a couple of months ago and wanted to thank all that have led me through my first true hardwood project. I also wanted to post the things that I learned for the first time, first hand. For the first time, I learned to plane wood to thickness, (new planer). I learned to cut stub tenons on the table saw, and the matching grooves on the table saw. I learned to make biscuit joints that line up, (new biscuit jointer). I learned to cut the grooves for the rails and stiles for panel type construction on the table saw. I learned to edge join many smaller pieces of wood together to make a large table top (times two). I learned how to draw arcs and cut them using a band saw, (thanks again walnutjerry). I learned a few new words to add to my vocabulary. But most of all I learned that if you need help, post it on ncwoodworker.net. The other most important thing I learned was that I am getting sick. I have contracted a bad case of WGD!!!!!!! And I Love It!!!

:gar-Bi:help::help::help:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice job! great looking and great timing-
LOML has just today put in her "request" for a pair of those.....

request as in - make the dang things!! :gar-Bi

and of course I said......
yes ma'am :notworthy:
little enough for the smiles she puts in my heart

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Tracy, you did a great job on the tables AND developed a lot of valuable skills in the process! You definitely have WGD and therefore we can look forward to more:tool: gloats coming from your neck of the woods.:rolf:

Keep up the great work,

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I have bugged and aggravated a lot on this site...<snip>

Well, not really. You interacted. You asked for help. That means you want to learn. Someone here knew how to do what you wanted. Not because they were born with the knowledge, but because someone had taught them (although it may have been the instructor at the School of Hard Knocks). They wanted to pass on their knowledge. Those who knew how to do what you didn't were excited when they were given an opportunity to share their experience and know-how.

I often speak with others about the "wisdom of the ages" and how we are so blessed as to be able to do things that, mere decades before, were unheard of. Consider the guys who perfected the bandsaw (well, at least got it to work somewhat OK), the router, the jointer, the tablesaw, the edge bander, the scrollsaw, the compound miter saw (I could go on, but I'll stop).

When humans can help other humans, they jump at the chance. With all the "stuff" going on in the world, it's a great thing to reflect on how much interaction Papa Smurf's little website has generated. And how wonderful that interpersonal interplay is intertwined in this internet community (a little verbose alliteration there, couldn't help it).

So keep asking, and maybe one day you'll want to know how to put an automated dust bin overflow sensor on your cyclone, and McRabbet and AlanILW and I will fall all over ourselves to jump in with suggestions, recommendations and caveats.

Thanks for being a part of this great cohort of disparate individuals joined by a love of a common pasttime: ruining good wood.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It's great, isn't it, doing all this stuff for the first time. I'm only a couple of months ahead of you :) Still remember the first time I fed a rough board through the jointer and out came beautiful wood.

WGD never goes away though.

TracyP

Tracy
It's great, isn't it, doing all this stuff for the first time. I'm only a couple of months ahead of you :) Still remember the first time I fed a rough board through the jointer and out came beautiful wood.

WGD never goes away though.

I have heard that there is no cure but a current prescription exists, and can be filled at any tool store or web site. Can also be filled by visiting a hardwood supplier.:rotflm:

M

McRabbet

Did I hear a rumor that you're in the market for a Dust Collector with an automated bin overflow sensor? Word has it that Alan has the market east of I-95; Jim has the central part of the state and I've got the area west of Winston-Salem -- so you're mine, Grasshopper! :kermit:

TracyP

Tracy
Did I hear a rumor that you're in the market for a Dust Collector with an automated bin overflow sensor? Word has it that Alan has the market east of I-95; Jim has the central part of the state and I've got the area west of Winston-Salem -- so you're mine, Grasshopper! :kermit:

Rumor, who said it was a rumor?:rotflm: Gotta stretch the shop a little first. Anybody got a shop stretcher I can borrow? :rotflm:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Spiffy work there, Tracy. WGD is a compulsive disorder: you always wanna make something bigger than the last project. Then it mutates, and you wanna use more hand tools, or more power tools. In its most vile form, it causes you to but a lathe! :wink_smil

TracyP

Tracy
Oh yeah, almost forgot, ok I did forget, I also successfully used the KREG master jig for the first time to attach the aprons with pocket holes. That was cool, drill, screw, done! The tables are getting heavier though. (they are really putting things in them and sitting things on them).:dontknow::help:
I thought they were just to look at!:icon_scra

erasmussen

New User
RAS
So you learned a lot
Made to great looking end tables
And everyone tried to help
This site is the best:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_danc

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
So you learned a lot
Made to great looking end tables
And everyone tried to help
This site is the best:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_danc

Ditto the above, and those of us that didn't know enough to help learned a lot!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS