short piece of 1"-8TPI threaded rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yes, the faceplate and the chuck both are screwed on to the 1"-8TPI spindle of the lathe. The idea would be to unscrew the chuck or faceplate leaving the blank attached and move it between the lathe and carving stand. It seems like you could rechuck and have the same alignment if you have a good tenon, but that has not been my experience. It only takes the tiniest shift and it willseem like the blank that was already rounded is out of round again. I have some ideas that would work best with being able to go back and forth.

jhreed

New User
james
Mike Davis, correct me if I am wrong. But aren't the threads on his lathe and faceplate acme threads. If so, standard allthread will not work. You will need acme threaded rod.
James

T

toolferone

Mike Davis, correct me if I am wrong. But aren't the threads on his lathe and faceplate acme threads. If so, standard allthread will not work. You will need acme threaded rod.
James

I am pretty sure they are standard thread.

Buy a bolt and cut off the head.

DaveD

New User
Dave
There are 3 Fastenal's in the Raleigh area. One on Airport Blvd, one on Yonkers and one on South Saunders. One of them should have a 1x8, 2" bolt in stock. Realize that if you get a longer bolt that the threaded portion may be less than 2".

jimwill48

James
Fastenal's in the Mooresville area now will not sell to the general public except for bulk, in other words they will not sell 1 bolt only box quantity. They direct that type of sales to a local business, which is OK since they are cheaper. A good place to buy common bolts, ecte is Tractor Supply they sell by the pound and I believe the 1"x8tpi bolts sell at $2.95 per pound.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
OK, I am an idiot...

Someone offered to help via PM and asked a question that made me do a big :eusa_doh:DUH!

The Panavise 400 base (what I have) accepts any 1" shaft. I don't need to attach a short piece to the plate, I need to set the plate aside and put a spindle in the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS