Shop step (aka advanced physics/math).....

What should I go with?

• Ramp

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Ramp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ramp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Inclined sloping platform

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Ramp

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, I'm done pulling out my beard hair. I'm now confused.

Here is the situation, my shop is up on blocks, the ground slopes from right to left as you face the door. Due to a lot of hard work on my part, the shop is level.

Far right of the door, its 15" floor to ground. Far left, its 16 1/2" floor to ground. Door is ~4' wide.

So.......

Its too far for no step at all, I'm bound to fall.... again. I want to build a single or double step up. Thinking about a platform step, but thats not important.

I read up on stair rise/run stuff, but 7" stair riser doesn't give me a useable step size.

A. What do I do about the slope in the ground? Should I raise up the 16 1/2 end or dig down the 15? Do I even need to account for this?

B. What size step should I shoot for, given my ~16" total rise?

Three steps is ~5 1/3" rise, too short. 2 is 8", which seems a bit steep.

Yes, I am making this complicated, but sometimes I wanna do things the "right" way.

Last summer, I was using a concrete block as a step, it gave way, and I came down on my shin against the block. Left me with 3 rather nasty scars to remind me steps/stairs are important!

Thanks,
Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A good step rise is 7-8", you can compensate for a taller rise with a longer run. I would make two steps with a 8" rise, 11½" - 14" (2x6 or 2x8) run and dig in the shorter side so the steps are level. Set the bottom of your stringer on 2¼" solid concrete blocks, or even better scab a 2x8 on the bottom of the stringer and set it on a concrete footer.

MTCW,
Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would build a ramp.:icon_thum much easier to bring in tools [heavy ones] and remove finished projects [large ones]. I also have a couple of dolly's so....:gar-Bi

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Ramp

A ramp is the only way to go. You can even use rough lumber to give it some traction. More than a dozen times, I have had to use a hand truck to get something or the other in to the shop.

I have even seen some wooden ramps already built at the same places that sell picnic tables and also concrete ones at construction or mobile home places.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have steps (3' door) and a ramp (5' double door). The ramp is invaluable.

Average steps rise 7 1/4" to 8 1/4". They should be set level on a solid footer. As DaveO said, 2" solid blocks would do the job.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I agree on the ramp, I have only a half or less step and using a hand truck is easier going in and out of the shop than it is going in and out of the house. Not knowing how the land is sloped, you could back fill and then the ramp could be concrete or at least it would be shorter and stronger. If you are going to do it be sure to do it right, last time you only got scraped next time may not be as fortunate.

Good Luck

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
I agree with the ramp approach. I recently built a couple of ramps for a friend both were 6ft x 6ft to match the doors. IIRC I had less than $150 in materials for both ramps including screws, pt 2x6s, pt 5/4 x 6s, and pt 4x4's for legs at the building (He didn't want to screw a ledger board to the building). We adjusted to ground level by using solid concrete blocks for footings and burying them at varying depths to bring everything up to level. I can't remember the exact rises for each door but I am think somewhere around 12 to 14 inches. We ended up with close to a gentle 10 degree rise so that none of his lawn mowers would drag rolling in or out.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Forget the steps and just build a ramp. A little more work on your part to get the ground level where the ramp meets the ground, but the first time you use it to get a big piece of equipment in/out of your shop will make it all worthwhile.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was 23 I used a concrete block for a step stool, Yep, it slipped and I came crashing down on the edge of the block. My leg was black and forty shades of blue for 6 weeks. I still have a gap in my leg muscle and a limp when i get tired, which seems to be most of the time now.

A ramp is not so hard to build, it will make life easier for far longer than the building of it will inconvenience you. But I would absolutely go ahead and build a stoop porch while I was at it. A porch is a great place to sit on a shave horse and think about the things that you messed up in your life. Like going cheap on a set of steps.

Sounds like a great Saturday project for a bunch of lonely woodworkers. Got Beer? :eek:ccasion1 Beer is vegetarian!

Glennbear

Glenn
I was just going to join the parade of folks recommending a ramp instead of steps until I read Mike's post about adding a stoop also. I think that would be the hot setup, a small stoop at door level with a ramp to the ground. :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I would build a ramp.:icon_thum much easier to bring in tools [heavy ones] and remove finished projects [large ones]. I also have a couple of dolly's so....:gar-Bi

I hate to admit this, but "AMEN" to what Fred said!! LOL!
:rotflm:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Doesn't anyone out there think I should go with a ramp????? :p

Here is my "thinking". My shop is 12x12, so I was planning to go with a larger patio type step like Mike suggests. That extra platform would allow me to extend my usable floor space.

I think based on this, I'm going to go patio platform at the ~18" height with a ramp off the side.

I have lots of PT scrap from a front porch I had to demolish, so that'll make it fun.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. You managed to turn my thinking.

Now I just have to ramp up......

Jim

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
If you can:dontknow: go ahead and build your deck the lenth of your shop.Make it big enough to bring projects outside when thr weather is good:icon_scra.Nothing like fresh air to clear the mind when you get stumped:gar-La;.Then later on you can even put a roof on it.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
If you can:dontknow: go ahead and build your deck the lenth of your shop.Make it big enough to bring projects outside when thr weather is good:icon_scra.Nothing like fresh air to clear the mind when you get stumped:gar-La;.Then later on you can even put a roof on it.
Now that is my kind of thinking plus only 3 more walls and another room for storage for more tools or wood.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I am being careful. I tend to fix one thing by doing 9,892 other things.

For now, a platform and ramp. Well maybe a ramp......

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS