Seasonal Humidity Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
It's time to start paying attention to humidity (or lack of it), especially if you're working with thin wood that will stay inside a heated environment in the winter when it's finished.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy S4 cellphone you have a hygrometer included along with its barometer and temperature sensors. It can be accessed and calibrated with this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aminor.weatherstation&hl=en The app gives you rh, dewpoint and absolute humidity along with pressures and temps. Make sure the phone has had a few minutes to acclimate to the room...ie not fresh from your pocket. The temperature in the shop should be where you keep it while working to get the most relative reading. As the shop temp goes up the RH drops if you don't add any water vapor. Stay humid my friends!

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
This can't be, when I drank the Kool-aid at the Apple store they told me it was the most amazing greatest phone ever, now you are telling me the S4 will tell me the humidity???:BangHead:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
This can't be, when I drank the Kool-aid at the Apple store they told me it was the most amazing greatest phone ever, now you are telling me the S4 will tell me the humidity???:BangHead:

Yep...It also has a light meter and a replaceable battery too. :)

Glennbear

Glenn
On a related note, maintaining the proper humidity level in our living spaces can reduce heating costs since drier air causes us to feel colder. I learned pretty quickly my first winter in this house that I needed to add moisture to decrease discomfort and static shocks. I now use a console type humidifier since adding a central humidifier to my HVAC system would be a huge logistical and financial burden. :wsmile:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
For those of us who didn't make our 0 clearance inserts out of plywood: reconsider. Mine shrunk, didn't realize it, and popped up when cutting a tendon shoulder = not fun......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS