Salad Bowl??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
I recently got a request for a large salad bowl and 6 serving bowls-----I had never really thought about the size of a salad bowl that will hold enough salad for 6 servings. Maybe some of you guys with more turning experience can enlighten me on the sizes that are considered normal. I realize you can do whatever you desire but is there any certain standard to go by for the size?:eusa_thin

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How large can you turn a bowl? I would say go as large as you can. I made salad tonight for 4 people in a bowl that was 14" in dia. and ~ 8" deep, tossing it was a little difficult. Of course the salad was made with Romaine hearts and they're pretty big pieces.

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
OK Lets me splain this toooo ya. if ya got a 12" lathe ya needs ta make a 14" bowl! if ya gots a 14" lathe ya needs to make a 16" bowl! thats how we gets the new stuff we NEED...:rolf: Oh hunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i needs a new tool for ta make you stuff with......:eusa_pray

fred p

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
How large can you turn a bowl? I would say go as large as you can. I made salad tonight for 4 people in a bowl that was 14" in dia. and ~ 8" deep, tossing it was a little difficult. Of course the salad was made with Romaine hearts and they're pretty big pieces.

Dave:)

Dave--------I have a Powermatic 3420A so I can turn 20" over the bed or move the headstock to the right hand end of the lathe and go much bigger (could turn a table top) turning outboard fashion. The question is how big is the table it will be on?:rolf: . Thanks for the input----logic tells me if it is a bigger diameter it does not have to be as deep----does that make sense to anyone else?:)

Jerry

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Jerry
I have been looking in to making a Caesar Salad Bowl set. From what I have found out is for proper tossing of the romaine leaves the large diameter is needed to control the salad. The average size I found is 17 to 20 inches in diameter and 5 to 6 inches in depth. I hope this helps.

sapwood

New User
Roger
OK Lets me splain this toooo ya. if ya got a 12" lathe ya needs ta make a 14" bowl! if ya gots a 14" lathe ya needs to make a 16" bowl! thats how we gets the new stuff we NEED...:rolf: Oh hunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i needs a new tool for ta make you stuff with......:eusa_pray

fred p

:rolf: Eloquently stated fred . . . that's funny and it applies to all tools :lol:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS