router table insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

New User
james
I am looking for a deal on a router table insert for a Freud FT2000E 3-1/4 hp router. If I dont find a good deal, I have enought 1/4" plexi-glass to mess up 4 or 5 times learning to make one.
James

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
James, they're not all that hard to make. Just make sure your DP is squared up first.

With the sub-base on and screwed on, make a photo copy of the bottom. Those phillips heads will help in centering the holes. Tape the photocopy to your plastic. I use a spade bit to 'center punch' the holes and then drill slightly over-sized thru holes for the mounting screws. My countersink is a large single flute cutter from Lee Valley. (single flutes make a smoother cut, IMHO). Mount the whole slab to the router and measure out from there to fit your recess. For the router bit hole, I chuck a V bit to make the 'center punch', remove the sub base and use a Forstner bit on the DP to make the hole. Hope that makes sense.

Joe`

zapdafish

New User
Steve
i'd make the initial template out of mdf, that way it wont matter if you mess it up a few times. After that, use the mdf template to route your plexi glass one.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Depending on what you are looking for, if you are interested in a router plate with lift Jessem is closing out a few models at really good prices.

http://jessem.com/SPECIAL_OFFER.html

Edit: Sorry just relized the router you are going to use will not work with these lifts. Sorry I will make sure I look closer next time.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
1/4" plexy isn't going to be strong enough to hold up over time. It will definitely sag. Woodcraft sells a piece of 1/2" phenolic, for about $25 if memory serves me correct. That would be my first choice. As said earlier, make a template from MDF, then make you plate out of phenolic.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
James,

You have a box on its way. It should be there by Monday. I threw in a piece of polycarbonate 1/2" x 7" (may be 8") x 11". Maybe that will work? BTW, polycarbonate kicks back like nobody's business so take it slow and stay in control. Read a fabrication manual online if you need to get more comfortable with tooling guidelines, etc.

Yes, the corian's in there too.

Dean

jhreed

New User
james
Thanks for all the good advice. With the materials Dean is sending and all the good advice I figure I will save approx $80.00 over purchasing a template and insert. Plus I will have gained some experience which I greatly need.
Thanks to all
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS