Raised Panel Door Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am considering buying a set of cathedral door templates from Peachtree. Anyone have any experience with these or other brands? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I have a set of arched panel door templates from Infinity Tools and like them a lot. One thing that surprised me is that the upper and lower templates are not mirror images of each other. Once you see how they actually fit, it makes perfect sense.

I used the Infinity templates in the story "Building Arched Panel Doors" at the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/bldarchpnldrs.html

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have looked at a few of them, high end and low end both, haven't bought any, yet.

Rockler has a set of them on their web site. Price seems pretty good. There are a few "higher" end sets weaver door systems and a couple of other companies make that I have seen on Amazon and Woodweb. The Marathon brand name comes to mind for some reason. With the high end ones you buy a sled that holds the jigs and the board at the same time I believe to pattern route it. This is more for use on a shaper with some horsepower behind it. I have a hard time justifying the high end ones. The price (around $900 or so new) and what you get for them I have a hard time seeing the value.

Personally, if you get the templates, rough cut with the bandsaw and then doubleside tape the pattern to the board and route it with a pattern bit I would think you would be in good shape. My only advice there is to get a pattern bit with a shear cut as it is much less likely to blow out/tear out.

From what I have read, you go ahead and make your cope cuts before cutting out your arch. Then do all of your other cuts after the fact. With most of the raised panel bits for routers you have a bearing so all in all it shouldn't be too bad. I did a very large arched raised panel many years ago and overall didn't have any issues.

Sorry to be so wordy. My fingers have a mind of their own this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS