Question from a Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
As the BOD of NCWW, when a question is presented to the board in the Public forum, I feel we need to address it. This question was presented by Nelsone in the thread Steve Coles started entitled "Dogs" We as the BOD should address publicly any direct request that a member presents. The question was "Here's a question to the board, With as many dog lovers as we have, could we add a forum dedicated to pets? My wife has asked me to post about rescues, but I don't want to fill up the OT forum with those posts. Could be a place to post all things about our furry friends." We should respond publicly. Thoughts, Ideas, etc.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I'm a dog lover but I don't think we should offer a pet forum to our members. It is very far afield from what this site is about. I don't know for sure, but think there are probably many, many sites dedicated to pets.

TracyP

Tracy
I'm a dog lover but I don't think we should offer a pet forum to our members. It is very far afield from what this site is about. I don't know for sure, but think there are probably many, many sites dedicated to pets.

I agree, but the question was posed publicly and the point of this thread is to address member's requests in a manner that the members would expect from their elected board of directors. I think we would be poorly thought of if someone posed a public question such as this one and we did not address it publicly after discussing it.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Tracy, I agree any question directed to the BoD should be answered. I was just stating my opinion as to whether we should offer such a forum.

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy, I agree any question directed to the BoD should be answered. I was just stating my opinion as to whether we should offer such a forum.

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up and I am in total agreement with you.

M

McRabbet

I saw the question too when Ed posted it in Steve's thread. I'm an avid dog lover, but a dedicated forum for Pets is way beyond our purpose and philosophy. It is fine to have these types of threads in the Off Topic Forum, but that is as close to a "Social Forum" as we should allow. We aren't My Space or Facebook. I say no, but agree that we should respond to Ed's suggestion after we reach concensus.

As an aside, I have heard from several members that think the website is already too focused on social topics versus woodworking. As a result they don't participate much.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Late to the party as usual.

I 100% agree what we do not need/want a forum on any topic unrelated to wood working. If a request such as this is made through public or private contact I do think the BoD should respond to the requestor. However, this response should be handled via email or PM and never in a public forum.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree no forum, but I think we should respond publicly in some form or fashion as the question was posed publicly.

I am totally SHOCKED that the joke thread did not get out of control. I would have bet hard cash that someone was going to have to be moderated, and it didn't happen. I see this as another opportunity to just say, hey, this is a woodworking web site, and we all love pets, but it isn't a part of a woodworking forum and it is best just to post them in off topic.

JMTCW and subject to change.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I agree with Travis that the proper way in which to handle this is to respond on the open forum. That way everyone knows that the BoD does listen and respond to suggestions from the membership. This could not be ascertained if it were done privately.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I concur with the consensus perspective on 1 - not having a separate dog forum and 2 - responding in public.

Who want's to draft the response? May I suggest that we review it amongst ourselves prior to posting.

Scott

M

McRabbet

I agree with doing it in public and suggest that Tracy post it since he posted in the original thread that the BoD would review. I think we are all on the same page -- I suggest our Secretary draft the wording since we know he is most eloquent!

TracyP

Tracy
I agree with doing it in public and suggest that Tracy post it since he posted in the original thread that the BoD would review. I think we are all on the same page -- I suggest our Secretary draft the wording since we know he is most eloquent!

I'll be glad to post it, and would agree that our Secretary is well spoken and would appreciate his assistance.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I saw the question too when Ed posted it in Steve's thread. I'm an avid dog lover, but a dedicated forum for Pets is way beyond our purpose and philosophy. It is fine to have these types of threads in the Off Topic Forum, but that is as close to a "Social Forum" as we should allow. We aren't My Space or Facebook. I say no, but agree that we should respond to Ed's suggestion after we reach concensus.

As an aside, I have heard from several members that think the website is already too focused on social topics versus woodworking. As a result they don't participate much.

+6 and even later than Scott M!:gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gee thanks guys... I think....

I'll draft up something either tonight or tomorrow and post it for review.

SS

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I told Scott at lunch I would draft something, so here goes...

Here is the question"
Here's a question to the board, With as many dog lovers as we have, could we add a forum dedicated to pets? My wife has asked me to post about rescues, but I don't want to fill up the OT forum with those posts. Could be a place to post all things about our furry friends.

My quickie response that is subject to editing/change/wordsmithing/etc.
NCWW is dedicated to Woodworking. Although many of us are dog lovers (self included) we do not feel that it is appropriate to have a separate forum for pets. The proper place for this is the off topic forum, and you can continue to post these in the off topic forum.

M

McRabbet

I told Scott at lunch I would draft something, so here goes...

Here is the question"
Here's a question to the board, With as many dog lovers as we have, could we add a forum dedicated to pets? My wife has asked me to post about rescues, but I don't want to fill up the OT forum with those posts. Could be a place to post all things about our furry friends.

My quickie response that is subject to editing/change/wordsmithing/etc.
North Carolina Woodworker is dedicated to Woodworking. Although many of us are [STRIKE]dog[/STRIKE]pet lovers (myself included), we do not feel that it is appropriate to have a separate forum for pets. The proper place for this is the Off Topic forum, and you can continue to post these tributes in [STRIKE]the off topic[/STRIKE]that forum.
I've added a few minor edits to clarify...

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Rob's edited version looks good. If Travis is posting it, it makes sense. If it is coming from someone else then the "myself" reference may need to be edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS