Publishing lumber prices on the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
(I decide to start a new thread because the discussion could get lengthy)

Dan Snyder suggested we collect lumber prices from the various suppliers and put them here on the site. I think that was an excellent idea. It's exactly the kind of information that draws people to a "local" site, as opposed to Woodnet or Sawmill Creek.

Would this affect our advertising? I'm not sure. First of all, such a price list is advertisement by itself. Second, price isn't everything. Selection and convenience go a long way. In fact, knowing the exact price might even help retail woodworking stores (e.g. Klingspor) because the difference with some of the wholesale suppliers isn't all that large. Especially when you factor in an extra 2-4 hours of driving. Third, what's wrong with proving accurate, honest information? We've all seen woodworking magazines with a tool "test" that is nothing but a paid endorsement. I think most of our sponsors have competitive pricing, and the potential increase in NCWW members (and by extension customers for our sponsors) would offset any loss in sales due to sharing pricing information.

Tons of people post deals all the time here that relate to products sold by our sponsors. Have we ever heard lost an advertiser over that?

We've seen a recent decline in new members. More members mean more raffle ticket sales, donations, calendar purchases and of course site traffic. The best way to keep our sponsors happy is to have a growing and vibrant community.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The Bod has voted against doing this as it could adversely affect our paid advertisers. We felt that while it would be helpful it would free advertising for some and others are paying.

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
What about a different approach to the same end result (I agree its very beneficial).

We create a "dynamic" webform opened to any approved lumber "sellers".

They are free to fill it out and maintain it. Or we work out a price sheet update process.

We'd need rules around its validity, accuracy and the like. "Prices listed are subject to change" or maybe we work out a "print today's sheet to lock in these prices for 48 hours" type thing.

Might also want to put update/expiration logic in so a vendor doesn't leave prices sitting static for 18 years.

A real nice distinction would be to show DQ discounts.

We could sort by paid vs. non paid vendors and then by alphabetic order. Also use the paid vendors logos on the results vs. a non-paid name. To sweeten the pot/distinction we could put paid vendors on the front page, and non-paying on the second.

Yes, its sort of free advertising for everyone, but I think it could functionally be fair.

We'd want buy in from paid suppliers and gauge their willingness to manage their stock/prices.

I know those in retail tend not to like price comparison. So this could all be for knot.....

Just a thought.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS