Pre-Finishing Raised Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. I have managed to complete 8 raised panel doors (dry fitted).
Thread - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10958

I believe that I read somewhere that one should prefinish the panels prior to glueup in order to account for wood movement and an unsightly edge as the panels move (seasonally).

I will be just painting all of the doors, so I was wondering if I can get away with just finishing the panel tongue's then assemble(glueup). Once set, then apply my finish coats?

So, I am looking for some recommendations. Apply finish to all parts (except where glue will be applied) then assemble. Or. Just lay down a bead of finish where there may be a visible edge later, glueup and then do my final finishing?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Wayne

Nativespec

New User
David
I always prefinish the panels with a couple of wipe down coats to account for the movement and then finish later with a sprayer the complete door.

David

M

McRabbet

Wayne,

When I built this combination display/entertainment center for a client, I put a thinned primer coat on the birch panels but not door rails and stiles before assembly; after glue-up, I primed the entire doors before giving them a good finish coat. The finish was applied by brush and was a high quality interior enamel.
100_2326.JPG

Hope this helps.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks guys!!

Looks like I will be starting another "assembly line" of panel priming prior to my glue up.

Thanks again for your input!

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Wayne,

Does the panel sit in a groove in the rails and styles of the door? If you're making the type of door that I think you are, finishing the panel before assemble shouldn't matter with regard to glue. The panel floats in the frame of the door. Painting / finishing the other door components can be done after assembly because you won't have any movement that would expose raw wood for the rails and styles.

Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne,

Does the panel sit in a groove in the rails and styles of the door? If you're making the type of door that I think you are, finishing the panel before assemble shouldn't matter with regard to glue. The panel floats in the frame of the door. Painting / finishing the other door components can be done after assembly because you won't have any movement that would expose raw wood for the rails and styles.

Ray

Yes, Ray. The panels are floating in rails and stiles.

I will probably wait until after the glueup to prime and paint the rest of the components.

Thanks

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS