Poker Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Ed Nelson asked "where’ve you been" on a recent thread so I though I'd better post something just to let folks know I'm still kicking. I've been away from woodworking for a good while (not my idea) but hope to get more involved as time passes.

I did complete a few small boxes recently...gifts for special friends. Just uploaded pics to my photo gallery. Hmmm :eusa_thin wonder how to link to them??? I'll try.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1365&ppuser=

Poker chip box was for a BIL who has been so kind to our family during some recent hardships. He's a preacher...who loves to play poker. Yes I know that sounds a bit funny to some but hey...he plays for chips, not money.

One of the koa top small boxes is for my niece who is an amazing women and I just wanted her to have something that I made.

The other small koa box is for.....me :gar-Bi. It matches one of my guitars and holds some guitar stuff.

I've been checking in on you folks occasionally and you're an amazing group of wood re-shapers. Hope to be back amongst ya'll soon......

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking boxes, especially the poker chip box. How did you make the actual chip holders? It looks complicated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow the figure in the Koa is amazing. I think I have a good idea how you made the poker chip holders, but I would like to hear how you did it efficiently :icon_scra

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking boxes John. You really did a nice job with some pretty wood!

Don't be a stranger!

JohnW

New User
John
OK...here's how the chip trays were made.

Most chips will require a 1-5/8" forstner bit.

Square up 2 pieces of lumber, each long enough for the 8 slots plus the spaces in between plus a little extra on the ends. Wide enough to hold 25 chips plus two 1/4" pieces that you will trim off to make the finger holes. Final thickness of each chip tray will be approx 1-1/8" so you will probably need 5/4 lumber.

Firmly tape the 2 pieces together (lots of tape) face to face...then stand on edge and drill holes evenly spaced right down the center line where the two boards join. When done, remove tape and you have two perfectly matched trays. Trim on table saw.

Just a couple of tricks so they come out looking like you know what you're doing. Getting the bit square w/ the drill press table is one key. Lots of different methods to achieve this but how ever you do it...get things square.

The other key is making spacer blocks to index each hole.
Example: If you were to use a 1-5/8" bit for the holes and want to leave a 1/8" space between holes (slots) just add the two (1-3/4") and mill a board to this width. Cut it up into as many spacers (one less than the number of holes drilled) as required. You will need to use a fence and have a stop block.....so I built a "sled" which was just two pieces of ply 90'ed together & longer than the trays to be drilled... and screwed a stop block at one end. Position the sled or fence so that the bit is lined up exactly on the center line of the two taped boards. As you drill out each hole, add another indexing block. This will assure each hole is perfectly spaced. Be sure to blow away debris so it doesn't interfere with your accuracy.

The outer holes (finger holes) are drilled and spaced the exact same way...just use a 1" bit instead of the 1-5/8" bit. When milling the two boards I cut the outer strips (1/4" each) off the the original pieces so they would be grain matched when glued back....this may be a bit of over kill but.....

Anyone know where I can get more of that quartered sycamore? I love the look on boxes.
If I can do it....anybody can.:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ingenious! I love the fact that you make both trays at the same time, very efficient.

What is the stroke on your drill press? I believe mine can do just under 5", is it realistic to drill from both sides? I now see what you mean about making sure everything is square.

JohnW

New User
John
Bas...Drilling from both sides not a good idea. Each chip slot was approx 3.5" long so your drill has more than enough capacity. How often do you hear that???:gar-Bi

I still have the sled and spacers so if anyone wants to borrow, let me know.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It's encouraging - it also means no excuse to go buy a new tool :tool: I am very careful these days to pick only those projects that warrant a new purchase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS