Plumber recommendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
or help. I have some plumbing issues (in my house :lol:) that are beyond my realm of knowledge and skill (very limited). Anyone in the Clayton/Raleigh area know of a good and inexpensive plumber they could recommend? I would love to find someone who could give me an idea of what is going on, and head me in the right direction to fix it. I think with diagnosis/direction I could handle the actual work myself.
Thanks for any advice to you might offer :icon_thum

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am not sure, thus the need for diagnosis. But I am having a large amount of gurgling (air bubbling) when you flush the toilets or run the clothes washer. I think that I might have a clogged vent pipe???? But to compound that I am on a septic system that hasn't had any attention paid to it in at least 5-6 years more likely longer. In fact I don't even know where the tank is :-? I always figured that if I had a septic issue it would let me know where it was 8-O. Also I have a "Johnston County bump out" addition on my house with a half bath and washer/dryer connections that I am sure wasn't built/plumbed right. That is where I am getting the worst noise and poor commode flushing :oops:

Any ideas as to what might be going on and possible remedies ???

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I doubt it is a clogged vent- you likely have multiple vents, and it would need something really big to clog the main drain vent which is 3" or 4" . Since the septic hasn't shown itself- no soggy smelly spot in the lawn, my guess is that it is not full but you may have a partially clogged drain. A bockage can cause the effluent to both back up in the house or partially up the vent. But since it apparently doesn't overflow it is still draining my guess is you have a root-clogged, or slightly collapsed drain line running to the septic tank.

Go to the rental center and rent a snake and check it out. A plumber will be $$$$$$ even if he doesn't do anything.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

Gurgling does sound like air in the lines or a clogged vent (just guessing here). Septic issue is likely not the problem, although you should schedule a visit from the honey wagon. Since I can't stand all the wet (don't even use the pool in my yard), I'm not much of a plumber. We used Dr Drain, Inc. and had good luck. They did a leach field repair and were quite reasonable. They also do inside plumbing. We use B & D to get the septic drained out every so many years and have had good luck with them as well. Of course, there's always Ask This Old House.

Ray

scott hamm

New User
scott
dave ,
get the shovel out.
i mused to put in septic systems.
your tank is full of solids.
1st off go get some yeast and flush it down the toilet.
about 6 packs to start with.
next , find someone who pumps out septis tanks and call them.
if you know where it's at you can dig it out yourself and save some bucks.
note: do not open the lid!
let the driver do it.
when the tank gets full theres no plce for the air to go and it gurgles.
hopefully you won't have to put in a repair drain pit.
when it's pumped out put about 12 packs of yeast in the toilet and flush it.
this will help the system work.
scott

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
good thought on the yeast... if the guys from the honey wagon add the "culture" to the tank, it'll cost about 15 dollars per bag. I think Fleischmanns yeast is about 50 cents per packet (yes, huge size difference) but shopping in the baking goods aisle is loads cheaper. We add a packet or two per month>

Ray

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,

I'd send my wife over, but she's busy:lol::lol::lol:. Sorry I can't help, I'm from up north and always had city water/sewage. This country living is all new to me.

Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

I'd send my wife over, but she's busy:lol::lol::lol:. Sorry I can't help, I'm from up north and always had city water/sewage. This country living is all new to me.

Jimmy:)

Dang Jimmy I was counting on your new found Hottie plumber to help me out. I am in the same boat, this is the first time I have ever lived with a septic system, and in anything but a rental house:oops:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I doubt it is a clogged vent- you likely have multiple vents, and it would need something really big to clog the main drain vent which is 3" or 4" . Since the septic hasn't shown itself- no soggy smelly spot in the lawn, my guess is that it is not full but you may have a partially clogged drain. A bockage can cause the effluent to both back up in the house or partially up the vent. But since it apparently doesn't overflow it is still draining my guess is you have a root-clogged, or slightly collapsed drain line running to the septic tank.

Go to the rental center and rent a snake and check it out. A plumber will be $$$$$$ even if he doesn't do anything.

Great advice Alan, is there anything you don't know about? Where do you think that the best place to start snaking the lines would be ? Should I start at the toilet in question or tap into the main septic line under the house?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
dave ,
get the shovel out.
i mused to put in septic systems.
your tank is full of solids.
1st off go get some yeast and flush it down the toilet.
about 6 packs to start with.
next , find someone who pumps out septis tanks and call them.
if you know where it's at you can dig it out yourself and save some bucks.
note: do not open the lid!
let the driver do it.
when the tank gets full theres no plce for the air to go and it gurgles.
hopefully you won't have to put in a repair drain pit.
when it's pumped out put about 12 packs of yeast in the toilet and flush it.
this will help the system work.
scott

Scott I don't doubt your advice one bit, you obviously know more about this situation than I do, anybody would (I know nothing) All I know is that plumbing drain lines are vented, when water (or other stuff) is poured down a pipe the air in the pipe has to go somewhere. I would hope that I have vent pipes that would allow the air to ex cape before it gets to the septic tank (I live in Johnston Co, so there is no guarantee). If my septic tank was full I would expect to see something else coming back out of the drains other than bubbles 8-O
I am reaching here, because I really have no idea a bout plumbing or if what I have in my house was even done the right way :BangHead:

lottathought

New User
Michael
Dave,
It may be a partial clog..
The first thing to figure out is this...
What drainage lines have the problem?
Is it all?
Some?
If some, which ones?

It could be a feeder pipe or it could be the main drain pipe.
And yes..4" can be hard to clogg but not if some tree roots already started to partially clog it off for you.

Next...is it backing up, slow draining or just gurgling?

Hey, I have a snake and although I know just enough about plumbing to be dangerous, happy to stop by after work tommorow and take a look.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,
It may be a partial clog..
The first thing to figure out is this...
What drainage lines have the problem? I think the problem is isolated to the "addition" to the house. It is effected by other plumbing actions in the rest of the house to some exent, but the majortiy of the "action" happens in the addition's bathroom.
Is it all?
Some?
If some, which ones?

It could be a feeder pipe or it could be the main drain pipe.
And yes..4" can be hard to clogg but not if some tree roots already started to partially clog it off for you.

Next...is it backing up, slow draining or just gurgling? Slow draining and major gurgling

Hey, I have a snake and although I know just enough about plumbing to be dangerous, happy to stop by after work tommorow and take a look.

I might have to take you up on that offer, although tomorrow wouldn't be good for us. Maybe this weekend???

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It may be affecting the new addition the most because the way the drain lines were run or connected to the rest of the house, what size and pitch, and how vented. Is it a non-permit, homeowner, addition??? Is it on a slab or do you have a crawl space where you can go see for yourself?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, many septic systems have a cleanout or access port somewhere between the house and the tank. If you can locate yours, take the cap off and see if you have water/solids standing in the pipe when the noises occur. Also see if you can hear the gurgles coming from down line (towards the tank).

If so, you'll probably need to pump your tank as Scott recommended.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Yo DaveO, had the same problem not to long ago. New plumbing addidtion, gurguling , and LOUD when we did the wash.
I had a combination problem.
1. Drain field/leach line plugged up. and
2. a vent stack improperly placed.

Remedy was I replaced and installed a new 100 ft leach line and moved the placement of the vent to the correct postion which is after the p-trap :oops:. that was my fault.
The leach line got messed up by solids passing thru the tank system and getting into the leach lines. This is an old house and I have no idea how long it had been since it had been serviced. Also the house set up empty for 5 years before we moved in.
In theory septic tanks should function with out servicing. However with todays cleaning products, etc. The bacteria can get killed off in the tank thus the tank doesn't breakdown the stuff like it's designed to do.
So if the solids ever get into the second chamber, then into the leach lines they can go.
So every 2-3 years have the system serviced.
I now use a packet of ridex every few months just to help it out.

Placement of vents I learned the hard way. I won't make that mistake again. Heck even learned that they can go up into the wall cavities, and not have to pass thru the roof, at times.

Hope this info helps.

MAC

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
DaveO,

I mentioned having a leach field repair in an earlier post, as well as the outfit that did the work. Mine turned out to be a stoppage because a large rock (now in the rose garden and named "the kidney stone") was pressing down on the drain pipe. After a bunch of years, it finally settled in enough to make for a blockage. The indication was a wet spot in the yard. When the repair was done, the service folks filled the trench back in and even scattered a bunch of grass seed and straw.

Hope yours is a simple problem :eusa_pray:eusa_pray:eusa_pray

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS