Paint sprayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
My wife wants me to spray some outdoor stuff and I don't believe my guns will pull off spraying latex. Any suggestions as to a gun which will work with a compressor? Sad part is, it may not get used much so I don't want to spend a fortune on one.

MIke

J

jeff...

I just finished spraying latex with my cheapo HF gun - this gun I really don't care much about so I use it for experimental type spraying. The cheapo HF gun worked great just had to thin the latex down a little with water in order to get it to spray correctly which is no big deal.

As far as I'm concerned this cheapo HF Gun is one of those HF gems - it takes a licking and still keeps ticking.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
The Earlex HVLP guns come with a needle that allows you to spray latex. Also come with a viscosity cup to help you thin properly.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Somewhere out here is an old post where I was doing the same thing ... in the end, I bought a Vasper (?) gun from Northern Tool with a 2.3mm tip for latex spraying. I still had to thin the paint some, so I used water and some Floetrol to make it lay down nice. It did a wonderful job and used the paint super efficiently.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Rockler has their paint sprayer on sale for $79.99. I have been tempted.

That smaller sprayer probably won't do much with paint -- though it probably is good for laquer. I had the Wagner FineSpray (a $99 unit like the Rockler one -- which looks like one sold at Harbor Freight) and the small nozzle (1.4mm, I think) just couldn't get the paint out without clogging up.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Rockler has their paint sprayer on sale for $79.99. I have been tempted.

Geoff,

Rockler's gun and Woodcraft's gun (same style) are exactly the same as the HF gun. The only differences are that the Rockler gun has much better directions (buy the hf and download Rocklers inst.) andthe price.
I don't think they work good for latex, but you get a decent spray in other mediums.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Glennbear

Glenn
I used a Wagner airless sprayer (true gun, not a BORG buzz gun) to paint the interior and exterior of my shop. The gun is identical to pro airless guns and did a great job. I ordered some tips etc from Gleem paint co and now I see that they have recon sprayers the same as I used on sale with a 90 day warranty. For just a chair or something similar the paint hopper is a tad large but if you can line up several things to be painted at once with the same color it works great. :wsmile:

http://www.gleempaint.com/paint-crew-770-recon.html

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is an EXCELLENT buy! I bought one of those and used it twice and it quit. Took it back to HD without issues. At the time it was $199. I looked the other day and they were $149, so the price has come down a lot. I wouldn't spray a house with it, but it is good for miscellaneous latex and other outdoor type projects.

I think I will be getting one.

Correction. I have one on order.. ;-)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a Wagner conversion gun (HVLP but using a compressor instead of a turbine) I got for about $125 from Gleem paint. Once I got the air setting figured out it works well. I mostly spray Resisthane - a clear lacquer equivalent - but have sprayed Minwax's poly with it. I think the stock tips would be a bit small for latex but the help number at Gleem paint would give you better advice. They might change the tips for you and sell it that way if you ask. Extra tips are about $50 so not a minor expense (at least to me).

Highland Hardware's website has an article about mixing Resisthane with latex to make it harder and thinner. I don't know what you are painting but it might be an idea.

Jim

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
That is an EXCELLENT buy! I bought one of those and used it twice and it quit. Took it back to HD without issues. At the time it was $199. I looked the other day and they were $149, so the price has come down a lot. I wouldn't spray a house with it, but it is good for miscellaneous latex and other outdoor type projects.

I think I will be getting one.

Correction. I have one on order.. ;-)

Travis,

Which one are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS