Ouch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I feel it is my civic duty to share my stoopidity in hopes that it helps someone else avoid my pain :).

Two nights ago I suffered the worst WW accident I have had. I managed to plow my freshly sharpened 1/2" chisel into my hand! The short story is 5 stitches between my thumb and my first finger. No tendon or nerve damage. The stitches come out in 7 days. So I was lucky. But man I bled like a stuck pig!

It happened in the obvious way. I slipped and had my hand in the wrong place. I am usually quite careful about this. I think I was just trying to go too fast.

I was removing the waste from some dovetails on a 25" long board. Most of the time I brace the board against the wall or my bench hook and then alternate chopping and paring back into the end grain. This board is too long to brace in my typical way so I did it differently. I removed most of the waste with the bandsaw. Got about ~1/16th from the baseline by chopping and was going to clean that last bit. I struck the line lightly and then went to pare back to the line. This first cut has to be light or you ruin your baseline. I must have grabbed the board with my right hand and when I pared back to the line with my left I slipped jamming the chisel into my right hand. This should be such a light controlled cut that even a slip should only leave the tip of the chisel a fraction of an inch past the baseline. This of course is not a good excuse to hold the work with your hand. But I honestly don't know how I generated the force to end up ~4" past the baseline.

The obvious error is holding the work with my hand. And I know not to do this. I hope in the future when I have an awkward piece I take the time to secure it properly.

Be safe out there!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Salem. That's in an awfully tender spot, between the forefinger and thumb. Hope you saved that piece of wood w/ the blood on it: hang it on the wall as a reminder. When my dad cut off the tip of his finger on the TS, he did that w/ the piece he was working on. He wrote on it: "This is the one that got the finger." I still have it in my shop. :wsmile:

Bill

eyekode

New User
Salem
I left the blood on the piece and on the floor. And blood ended up on my vice chop as well. Right on the top staring at me every time I clamp a board in my vice. I hope it helps me remember as well.

Salem

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I can feel your pain. Glad it did not do any serious long-lasting damage.

However, kudos on knowing how to sharpen your chisel!! (poor taste, but hope it makes you laugh a bit).

Just remember, not all "vices" are bad!!

Go

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ouch is the right word.

Lesson is hard learned, but nothing of the "soft and/or fleshy" material should ever be ahead of the travel of a cutting tool.

I got 7 stitches doing the same sort of thing.

Good news is you'll likely never do it again!

If you do, well, thats why its called an accident.

Third time, we'll probably have to get you swapped out with them nerf chisels :)

Jim

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Occasionally, while working with chisels and gouges, I will realize that I have one of my hands in the line of fire. It's not complacency, or stupidity, or tiredness, or any of that sort of thing. I think it is just focus to the point of tunnel vision. Needless to say, I wake up real quick and get myself sorted (and give thanks that nothing serious happened).

I have left plenty of blood in my shop over the years, and I have realized that most of my injuries came right after the thought, "I really shouldn't be doing it this way".

I'm glad that you will heal up fine. Thanks for the reminder to all of us that accidents don't just happen. Although unintentional, they are predictable if we don't listen to those warning voices.

Good luck on your recovery.

-G

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ohh... I didn't know they sold nerf chisels! All this time I have drooled over Lie-Nielsens... silly and misguided.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Gazzer. Good points. This was indeed predictable. And I am pretty sure right before I plunged my chisel into my hand I heard a voice telling me to secure that board :(.
Salem

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on a speedy recovery. Chisels and utility knives, most dangerous tools in the shop....
(that and the operator of course)

lottathought

New User
Michael
If it helps, the most common material that you can find on anything and everything that I have made is my blood. :BangHead:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
ARGH!
Been there done that. That fleeting nano-second between the mind registering OOPS and the mouth forming OUCH, is too often predeeded by the subconscious already saying -
I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!
Glad it isn't worse. Heal competely and rapidly~

I'M NOT GOING TO ASK WHEN YOU LAST CHECKED YOUR FIRST AID KIT, BRUSHED UP ON YOUR FIRST AID SKILLS, OR HAD A TETANUS BOOSTER, BECAUSE WE ALL KEEP UP TO DATE ON SUCH THINGS.......

richlife

New User
Rich
And again, OUCH! I'll add my condolences and best wishes, Salem. We all have heard the addage that dull tools are dangerous -- unfortunately, sharpening them actually can make them more so! (Not that I would EVER contradict that old addage!)

We all do something like this at some point, some with more luck than you had. 4" huh? Just shows how well a properly sharpended tool can work -- and how much less resistance our tender skin provides than that ornery piece of wood...

It's all been said, so I'll just add my little incident from this past week while I was helping to get my mother moved. I had pulled out an old, seldom-used pocket knife from my tool kit -- but I keep all my tools SHARP, right? As long as I was using it as intended, that nice keen edge was a joy to use. But when I picked it up to use as a small pry tool... Yeah, pay attention to which side is which! Only a small slice, but really deep -- no skin resistance whatsoever. <sigh> Rich

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hot dang fellas,you either gonna have ta quit playin with the tools or stop sharping them so sharp :rotflm:OOPS sorry,that wern't nice of me :no: Hope ya git all healed up real soon.Then Be Carefull :saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS