One of our own in Aug 09 Popular Woodworking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Imagine my surprise while reading the first Letter from our Readers in the Aug issue and I notice its from someone in Raleigh.

Then, some strange brain trick worked, and I swore I knew this person.

Turns out, its our very own David Keller (dkeller_nc)!

He took on a very interesting wood movement issue in a case side mortise and tenon situation.

The published letter and response are quite interesting.

So, if you needed a reason to check out Popular Woodworking, this would be a pretty good reason :)

Way to go David!

Jim

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Can this article be accessed online? I don't remember getting my issue in the mail.

Mike

Odd Zak

New User
Joe
I've got to check this out! This is pretty freaking awesome!

I have the issue, so I'll be reading it.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I happen to have the issue and missed that. I will have to go reread it in the "library".

Congrats Dave! You have been Schwarzed!

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Thanks for the accolades, guys, but I'm not sure I deserve it just for writing to an article's author. I discussed this with Jim, and got permission from Glen, to post the full text of the discussion between Glen and I. There is also other input from, among others, Rob Millard (superb federal furniture maker) and Chuck Bender (period furniture maker - also does superb work) on Glen's blog entry on the subject:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/How+Much+Glue+Is+Enough.aspx

One other comment - I did not intend my note, and the ensuing discussion with Glen, to be a critique. Glen's done and succeeded at something that most of us will never do - made a living making furniture. And I highly respect his work. This exchange also speaks very highly of the work culture at Popular Woodworking - responding to as many reader questions and concerns as possible. This is in high contrast to what some of us perceive as arrogance of another magazine publishing organization that I'll leave nameless.

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Here is the full text of our e-mail exchange below:

My first note:

I figured out after reading the latest PW issue (for the third time -rare
for a mag to catch my attention to that extent), that I mis-identified
Christopher Storb as "David" - one more reason not to refer to contributors
by their last name. (Oops!).

One more comment - I thoroughly read through Glen's article on the
huntboard, and while his methods aren't mine (I wouldn't use powertools to
build a piece like that - it's too early for powertools), there's a detail
that perhaps Glen meant to put in but got edited out, and it's a critical to
the construction. It's entirely possible that I missed it, but I didn't see
any comments by Glen as to whether a reader should glue all three mortises
on the case sides, or glue the bottom and let the top two float, or glue the
top mortise, pin the bottom one (and elongate the hole in the tenon for the
pin), and let the middle one float (this last option would be my choice).
Obviously, this affects how the piece will age - if all three mortises are
glued, it's likely that the case sides will crack. While historically
accurate, that result might greatly disturb some readers, especially
newbies. You don't need to ask Glen to reply specifically to me, but I'd
bet you're going to get a lot of questions on this, so you might suggest to
Glen that he write a blog entry about it.

Keep up the good work.

David

Glen's Reply:
Greetings David,

I’ve built many pieces of furniture (from huntboards to highboys and lowboys) that have case sides mortised into legs. As a novice woodworker, I glued the sides securely into the legs without any thought of wood movement. You would think the case sides would or could crack given that arrangement. However, I have yet to see this happen to any of the pieces. Today I practice the same method – I fully glue the tenons and do not worry about wood movement issues and the possibility of cracks.

If you calculate the total movement of the sides of the huntboard, you’ll arrive at a maximum potential movement of around a 1/8”. It is my contention that the glues we use and the “give” of the woods are forgiving enough to counteract any movement. Add in the idea that most homes do not experience the extreme changes in humidity and I don’t see this as an issue.

I think a bigger problem, and possibly the cause of case side cracks over and above the glue question, is how those side tenons are fit. If enough room for expansion and contraction are not built in – tenons being fit too tight from top to bottom – your work is much more prone to issues such as cracks.

If tenons are fit too tight, as the wood moves and the glues creep, and if there is no allowance or space to move, stresses build and something has to give.

Of course, this is my opinion. And, like pins versus tails, I expect this topic will never fully be resolved.

Cheers,

Glen D. Huey

My second note:

Hi Glen - Thanks for responding, but my comment had more to do with addressing the issue than its actual resolution. I think you may well be right - although lots of (perhaps the majority) of case sides like this on early american furniture are cracked, that may have more to do with the practice of pinning the tenons into the mortises (all 3 of them, in some cases). I follow the same practice, and I don't care if the case sides crack - I'm pretty slavish about authenticity. But I figured you'd want to comment on this in a blog entry, because I'm betting there will be a lot of newbies out there that will be puzzling over it.

And of course, it gives you something to blog about that helps fill the quota that I'm sure F+W pubs probably sets for you. ;-)

Regards

David

Glen's Response:

David,

Megan forwarded your message to me this afternoon. I must challenge some of your points, in no particular order.

.... cross-grain construction, and the tenons are usually pinned in the mortises. Generally speaking, that guarantees a crack, ...

From this statement I would conclude that every piece you've built and pegged has cracked and that any period piece that has pegs has cracked. Is this so? I find it interesting that I have not experienced this and I have pegged quite a few pieces.

Glen noted that he hasn't had a problem with this and attributed it to the oversized mortises that he cuts for the
tenons. However, for this to be a valid explanation, one, two or all three tenons will have broken the glue inside the joint.

With the overall potential movement of a 1/8”, could it not be possible to build a piece with tenons as the wet/dry season reaches its middle which would present about a 1/16” of movement overall, and that the glue would hold completely in this scenario? We are all familiar with PVA glue creep. I cannot see why the creep couldn’t accept a mere 1/32” of movement (half the 1/16” movement total if movement began at the center of the panel).

Because in his article none of the mortises are pinned, there is a possibility (though a low probability) that the whole joint may become loose and pull away from the leg over time.

While true, this is hardly worth mentioning. It’s almost a scare tactic.

While I certainly give creedance to Glen's thought that he's built quite a few of these and never had an issue, that may well be the result of the recipients simply not getting back to him on it, thinking that they might have done something to the piece that resulted in a crack or a glue joint failure.

My customers, anyone’s customer, would place that call as quickly as possible.

However, when you multiply by the several hundred (at least - might be several thousand) of these that will get built as a result of the article, the probability of at least some of them failing is a whole lot higher than just Glen's experience.

If woodworkers adapted other methods of construction there would be failures as well. These cracks, if you will, could be the result of any number of issues. Not necessarily due to the gluing of the M&T joints.

David, I would like to work this into a blog entry. If it’s OK with you I would like to reprint your entire message. I’m interested in what others think and it should be an interesting thread.

Thanks,

Glen D. Huey

dkeller_nc

New User
David
And Finally (I put these in several replies due to the forum's character limit on thread replies):

My Reply:

Glen - You are welcome to use anything I've written in a blog enty/post, or even in a magazine article. That might actually make a pretty good topic for Woodwork Magazine. Something on the order of "Cross Grain Construction and Joint Failure - We Investigate the Real Story".

Please note that I didn't get on this topic to be argumentative, and especially not to critique your work. That wasn't the point - I just figured that you're going to have a lot of your more advanced readers question the absence of a discussion about cross-grain construction in the article.

From the standpoint of the questions you asked about pinned mortises - I've built a very limited number of case pieces with this type construction (and would guess that it's far, far fewer than you have). To date, 3 of them have one or more cracked side panels, and 2 do not. The 2 that do not are made of mahogany. The other 3 are made of cherry, maple, and walnut. The pins were usually made from the primary wood species, but one of the mahogany pieces and one of the maple pieces used riven white oak pins. Of the limited access to museum pieces I've had (mostly at MESDA, so mostly Southern pieces), almost all of them have either completely cracked, or partially checked, side panels.

However, I will most certainly acknowledge that there are instances cross-grain construction of furniture at MESDA that a modern woodworker would bet a paycheck on cracking, but are still in one piece. One particular one that comes to mind is a 1760 era fairly large drop leaf table made by Peter Scott that is in the anteroom of the museum (i.e., outside the period rooms). It's made of mahogany, and the table top has to be at least 35" wide. It is screwed to the table aprons with what amounts to pocket screws - very, very large handmade wrought iron screws in gouge-cut pockets from the underside. To say the least, humidity changes in Southern homes up until the 1950's were huge - I've personally experienced this, as I lived without air conditioning for the first 10 years I was in Raleigh, NC. My guess is humidity in the 85% range in the high summer, and as low as 15% in the winter. This experience, by the way, puts the lie to the adage that "modern homes are very dry compared to historic periods, and as a result antiques don't do well" - I can personally verify that the RH gets incredibly dry in a fire-heated, non forced air system.

There is, by the way, quite a bit of discussion about this particular joint in a number of books and on net forums. There was a significant discussion of it on a SAPFM thread a while back, and there's a couple of pages devoted to it in Jeffrey Greene's book.

Regarding PVA glue creep on the piece you built and wrote the article on - absolutely I've experienced creep with PVA, Epoxy, Polyurethane and Resourcinol-based glues, but only in the period that the glue is still curing - typically in the first 10 days or so. After that, it's been my experience that PVA glues get very hard and fairly brittle, so I would not expect that they would flex enough to allow a great deal of movement in a M&T joint. However, I simply do not have enough experience to categorically state that PVA will flex after a few years of being in place - I dropped PVA in favor of hide glue some time ago, and now only use it when I'm building something modern that will regularly be exposed to heat and wet, like an end-grain cutting board.

Again, Glen, the purpose of me writing this is that I approach some questions from the aspect of an engineer, and one that has been heavily educated in statistics and "zero defect manufacturing". Obviously, I don't apply that sort of thing to furniture building - perfection is neither achievable nor desirable, in my view. What prompted me to write was thinking "Well, perhaps quite a number of readers will build this piece, and a number of them will place them in a stable atmosphere where they will never see cross-grain construction stability issues. However, at least a few will probably wind up with cracked side panels, which they'll think of as a defect of design". In my view, such a result is not a defect, but after haunting the power tool side of internet forums frequently, I'm very familiar with the modern sensibility of perfect joints, surfaces sanded and finished inside and out, building dawers entirely of primary woods, and related viewpoints.

Because a great deal of your audience will tend to think this way (it's quite often that someone writes a thread on these forums about their table saw fence/table being out 10 thousandths of an inch), I figured it might be worth protecting yourself from criticism by addressing the issue ahead of time.

And, by the way - I agree with you on the "gloves" thing. When I do use the jointer or planer, I wear leather gloves - always. My justification for this is that loss of control of the stock is far more dangerous than the very low probability of the cutters failing to slice through leather (which, after all, is cured skin) and pulling an appendage into a spinning blade. Perhaps there are those with leather-like hands that don't lose their grip on polished maple as it goes through a machine, but I sure would without gloves!

Take care, keep up the good work - I think Megan/Chris may ahve forwarded my comments on the last Pop Woodworking issue to the contributors. It was, bar none, the best single issue of any woodworking magazine that I've read in the last 3-4 years.

David

And Glen's Reply:

Hey David,

I'm posting the exchange we had about case side cracks. I think it will make a nice discussion on the blog.

I was wondering if you have a photo of the side of one of your cracked pieces that I could use on the blog. It would explain what we are debating.
Could you help?

Thanks,

Glen D. Huey

And finally, my embarrassing response that I don't have much in the way of pictures of things I've built in the past (which readily speaks to my laziness!):

Unfortunately Glen, I do not. This is the case of "the cobbler has no shoes" - almost everything I build either gets sold, or given to relatives for Christmas or birthdays and embarrassingly enough I have almost nothing in my possession that I've built besides an oak bookcase. And despite having 30 years of photography experience and professional equipment, I'm really bad at making myself take photos of my work - the eastern white pine wall cabinet that I sent to Chris, a few Underhill-style tool boxes, a couple of miniature 6-board chests and a few jewelry boxes are all I've got pictures of.

It might have something to do with consistently finishing up pieces around midnight on the day before Christmas Eve. ;-)

However, I've a few suggestions - it may serve your purpose to e-mail the curator at Winterthur for historical perspective. You might get a few photos of 200-year old pieces, and perhaps some surprises - I may well be wrong about guestimating probabilities of this, and they'll tell you they've just a few pieces with cracked sides.

It may also be an idea to solicit comments on specifically on this - it may well be that many readers have constructed case pieces this way (either totally glued, or in my case, pinned) and can comment on whether they've had issues.

Finally, you might wish to contact Dennis Bork on this. I'm sure you know of him if you don't know him personally - he's spent a career making repro furniture (he received the 2009 SAPFM Cartouche award), and I know he had some opinions about this very subject a while back on the SAPFM forum. He's a very friendly guy, and I've no doubt he would return an e-mail or a phone call.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS