New Yankee Router Table - Any lessons learned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey All!

I bought the plans almost 1 1/2 years ago and finally got around to buying the plywood/mdf materials yesterday. I started cutting out to the plan and am going to be building the new version of the table this week.

I was just looking to see if anyone who made this table had any suggestions of things they changed or other tips. I did make the table 6" wider based on some comments I read here. Also, I will be using the Woodpecker Unilift for the router.

Also, I'm interested to hear on suggestions as to where the best place may be to get supplies and perhaps some router suggestions. Given that I have the unilift, my options are pretty open. I am partial to the PC 7518, but that is some cash to lay down... Also, are there routers that come equiped with the ability to change bits above the table??

Cheers!
Chris

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the 7518, and it is a workhorse. With the Mast-R-Lift, I can change bits above the table, but I know there are several others that can work this way on the market as well. Milwaukee is one that comes to mind.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Jeff- I built a new-old hybrid NYW table with some additional mods:

1. I never liked the dust collection. I didn't want a hose off the fence so kept the "through the top" dust collection from the fence like the old version. The DC port is 4" out the back bottom of the cabinet.

2. I added angled baffles to the back insides of the cabinet so the dust can't collect in the corners. An angle floor would be good also, though harder to do.

3. I like the new fence better, gonna remake my fence someday.

4. I have at PC7539 (plunge version of the PC7518) and a WoodPeckers Plunge Lift. I added an extension to the lead screw, a HF right angle chuck and a drill - gives it a power lift (the 32 tpi took forever to crank up and down).

5. Make sure you have tall enough drawers for tall bits (I believe the new NYW version took this into account)

6. I made my own magnetic start switch

7. I used fixed casters on one side under the cabinet, and a Delta style step lift caster (available on line as caster only) from Rockler mounted on the other side to give my table an integral mobile base. Similar to what I have done to all my machines- works great.

8. Don't forget to drill the holes in the plexi door- need that air to keep the dust flowing.

9. I hinged the plexi access door rather than use the "lift-out" method the old NYW table.

10. I forget what Norm did, but I didn't put a miter track in top- no need for it. Sleds are just as easily registered off the fence.

11. I took 3" diameter piece of heavy packaging type thin plastic and made a dust cover for the top of the router- held in place with motor housing screws. No worry about dropping anything into the motor.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I built a NYW style to fit a Benchdog top/fence.

Like Alan, I hinged the door on the side. I did NOT drill holes. I left the door bottom gapped above the floor to provide enough air flow. Dust collection is actually very good.

My table has miter slots and I use em for featherboards. I agree that a miter gauge is pretty useless on a RT. Fence and sleds work better.

I also use the 7518 and Mast-r-lift in my RT and above table bit change is the only way to fly.

I waited to add mobility but should have done so immediately. I only move it when I need to use my assy table for side support with long/wide pieces but it easily pays for itself during those times.

Remember to post plenty of pics! :)

Chuck

Travis

New User
Travis
I built the station to the "T". It is an awsome tool that gets a lot of comments when folks visit the shop. I used aluminimum channel for fene guides instead of routing channels. I found the dust colletion to work perfectly. Check out images on in my album.

Good luck.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
thanks for all of the good comments! I am definately incorporating some of that into my project. I especially like the addition of the track for the fence to ride on as opposed to just routing slots.

Regards!
Chris

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Never made that rt, but i have seen Norm build them atleast 8 or 9 times. Where are the pics? If i cant see it, i dont believe it. Pics Pics Pics

Travis

New User
Travis
OK. Here are the PICS>>>

DSC05764.JPG

DSC05765.JPG

DSC05765.JPG

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Travis -

Nice table. I'd like to copy your fence for my TS extension with a router lift. Do you have any measurements you can send for the fence?

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's a great looking router table Travis :icon_thum
And I don't see any sawdust 8-O
Not even on the camera lens. Nice shop!

Roger

Travis

New User
Travis
More than happy to send dimensions. I do not think that Norm would mind. PM me with your information and I will get it to you.

Travis

New User
Travis
Yep, I am pretty anal about a clean shop. You know Norm saya to "normalize the shop after every task" HA. HA. HA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS