New Ridgid TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

Maybe I would feel differently if I used one, but I still lean towards my 3650. When I think of a granite top - I wonder how much it would take to chip/crack one when combining heat/cold and a bit of a klutz that I am. :roll: Plus I like the extra table capacity I currently have. Will be interested to read reviews on it.

Just for grins - has anyone had any experience using a granite topped saw? I can see the resemblance to the Craftsman, too!

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
A lot of people are down on the idea of granite because of the proven track record of cast iron, but I personally love the idea. Not having to care for the surface hardly at all (no rust) and the fact that it will remain perpetually flat forever are very attractive to me.

I might hesitate on a granite tablesaw only because of the inability to use magnets.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is a good point about the chipping/cracking problem. I don't have a work bench in my shop so my TS takes a beating. Plus I occasionally draw pencil lines on the top of mine and that would be difficult on black granite. :BangHead:

Other than that, it seems like a really cool saw. :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Granite has been around lots longer than cast iron! I suspect the folks from Steel City and Ridgid (among others) know what they are up to. Steel City even has a lathe with a granite bed! Granite will hold up very well, I'm sure.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I suspect it would be pretty hard to damage one of those granite beds. If you struck it with a hammer, maybe, but then if you struck cast iron with a hammer it would dent, and who does stuff like that anyway? :wsmile:

It would be nice to have no issue with putting a soda on the granite too.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The Wood review of Hybrid saws included the Steel City saw with a granite top. They found it a bit quieter than the others (84 db).

Granite has natural veins in it where it fractures easily. If one of those runs through the top, it could fracture very easily. I would also be interested in the depth of cut. The Steel city is 3 3/8 however, according to Wood so maybe that would not be an issue.

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Makes you wonder how they mount the trunnion to the granite. Would they drill a hole and epoxy a threaded sleeve in? To get a 3 - 3/8" depth of cut the granite has to be fairly thin somewhere in line with the blade shaft & pillow blocks.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm just love'n this whole thing. I can't say which is better or which is worse or which is which. I just like the idea.

If anyone stumbles across one of these at a local store, let us know. I'd be super curious to see one up close.

Another approach that I still wonder about is concrete. During some "quality google time", I found many folks who have made lathes (beds) that were dead flat and absorbed vibration.

Mostly, I just get excited seeing new stuff like this!

I also suspect that people will be matching their granite woodworking tool tops to their kitchen countertops :p

Jim

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I'm just love'n this whole thing. I can't say which is better or which is worse or which is which. I just like the idea.

If anyone stumbles across one of these at a local store, let us know. I'd be super curious to see one up close.

Another approach that I still wonder about is concrete. During some "quality google time", I found many folks who have made lathes (beds) that were dead flat and absorbed vibration.

Mostly, I just get excited seeing new stuff like this!

I also suspect that people will be matching their granite woodworking tool tops to their kitchen countertops :p

Jim

Jim, you need to get out more, you are waaaayyyyy too easily excited:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jim, the Raleighwood Wood Craft had one in the show room a couple of weeks back. It had a big table/guide extension on it with I think 48" or 50" rip capacity.

The granite was nice and cooooooooooool to the touch!! :gar-La;

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS