More carpentry than cabinetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Seehuetter

New User
Chuck
Char and I spend most of our time on the back porch that I built about 5 years ago. It's 28' X 16' screened in with Vinyl panels which we close during bad or cold weather. We like the look of natural Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) and it's what we can afford and get here.

DSC000121.JPG

In November our old TV died so we bought a new 52" LCD as our Christmas present. We then had to build a new cabinet to hold is so it's finished now. I know it's not high quality furniture but it's functional and country looking is what we like.

DSCN4847.JPG

All of it is 1 1/8" thick including the bi-fold doors. I still need to figure out what kind of locks to use. The TV pulls out and automatically swivels to the position we wanted for viewing and then moves back to square when it's pushed back into place. The knobs are simple. I turned a 2X2 on the lathe, flattened one side in the planer and cut them to 3". The drawers are 19" deep and 28" wide so plenty of storage for DVD's.

DSCN4845.JPG

The shelf has plenty of room for the DVD/VCR, cable modem and wireless router (network router not my PC plunge) and some day more electronics)

Thanks for looking

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I really like the look of the SYP. You did a great job on the project.:icon_thum

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
>> I know it's not high quality furniture but it's functional and country looking is what we like. <<

Quality looks pretty good to me! Good job.:icon_thum
I also like the look of SYP.
If only it didn't gum up the tools so much :thumbs_do

pete

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job Chuck,:icon_thum we also like the SYP look - LOML and I are talking about making some bedroom furniture out of it - no time soon thoe - will be awhile

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nothing wrong with SYP, I use it a lot! Cabinets, table, all look very well done! That is a VERY expansive porch!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good to know there are other fans of SYP as well :) Plentiful, largely presurfaced, and cheap! That is some great looking furniture. I typically use BLO to give it more of an amber color, but I do like the look of the clear finish as well. Very Scandinavian!

Nice stealth gloat on the TV BTW. How did you do the swivelling?

M

McRabbet

I'd say you did an excellent job of "carpentry" on the porch table and the Entertainment Center as well!! I like the double doors with their double sided raised panels and the hidden hinges for the more compact fold back position -- sure doesn't look like routine carpentry to me! Nice Tele, too -- is that the old one in the first picture?

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
SYP after all it and me are from the South. :rotflm:
By the way Chuck and Char, Nice job on the furniture.

Danny

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We are planning to remodel our kitchen and that is almost exactly what we want to match the old style of the house. Maybe just a hint of a stain or just some amber shellac.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
There ain't a thing wrong with that, it looks terrific!! I happen to like the look so long at it's left natural and not stained to try to look like something else. The knots and grain color are character of their own, and you have used that to make a fine looking piece. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

BTW, there are pieces "like" that in walmart that are supposed to look like SYP, but they are particle board with a cheap veneer on it. Now that is the thing I'd hate to see, that is junk anyway you look at it. Solid wood is what it is, no apologies needed.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice work, Chuck/Char. Like you guys, we "live" on our screened in back porch about 9 months a year.

But, one thing puzzles me. Didn't you say "when it's cold?"

:rotflm:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I think you got your words out of order. That's some purty stuff you did on that room (porch). :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The TV cab (and the other cabs) look like fine furniture from here.

Chuck

T

toolferone

That is a cabinet if I ever saw one, and a very nice one at that!

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Beautiful work you two . Looks to me like another shop crawl / visit is in order to inspect this up close.
I'm tired of this cold weather already.:eusa_danc

Chuck Seehuetter

New User
Chuck
Thank you all for your great comments on this. I'll try to answer your questions here too.
PeteM - I'm still looking for a better way than MS to clean the gum off but it works.

Phillip - I don't know when you'll build your bedroom furniture but if you'd like to look at our bedroom remodel with furniture we built, you can see it here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckinpc/BedroomRemodel#
The wall unit is actually white pine but there is also some cedar in some of the other stuff.

Travis - It's the biggest room in the house. That's why we live out there :gar-Bi

Bas - Being that there is so much humidity here we use gloss poly pr two part bar top epoxy for almost everything. Easy to clean too. The swivel is done like this.

DSCN4798.JPG

I then used the hi-tech approach of attaching a string on each side of the top platform (not shown in this picture) and then to the shelf it sets on. The right string is shorter than the left so when you pull the tray out it swivels. If I want it to pull out farther or swivel more all I have to do is lengthen or shorten the strings :icon_cheers

Rob - The hidden hinges are standard brass piano hinge and the outside ones are heavy 4" gate hinges which I had to flatten in a vise. I wanted hinges with locked hinge pins so the doors could not be removed by someone who doesn't belong here. Actually the old TV in the picture is now in the house. The old one that was in the house was the one that quit.

Mike - I've seen some of your work and it's great. Our kitchen is almost 100 percent SYP and I built all of the cabinets and counter tops. Here are some pics if you are interested.
http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckinpc/KitchenRemodel#

Reggie - After living in Florida for so many years, 50 is cold and 30 is absolutely freezing to me. Heck, the 30,000 BTU NG heater gets turned on when it's 55 or lower :kamahlitu

Tom - It took a buddy of mine and I all we had to move it onto a trailer at the shop and then into the porch. It's also screwed to a 6X6 post but I doubt if anyone could just walk off with it anyway. :rotflm:

PeteB - You know you are always welcome to come back. I'd love to have a big turkey fry for all of the NCWW's but I know it's a long way for all of you to drive.

Thanks again to all of you.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
DSCN4845.JPG

The shelf has plenty of room for the DVD/VCR, cable modem and wireless router (network router not my PC plunge) and some day more electronics)

Thanks for looking

Chuck,

I especially like your TV cabinet! Your pull-out for the TV is VERY CLEVER!

I have been working on a similar cabinet but I have the shelf part higher, another row of shelves, so I can see the units without getting on my knees thru my bifocals. :gar-Bi

My cabinet will have bookcases on each side with a bridge on top to connect them.

I've been trying to come up with a good design where I can remove the TV, and the top shelf, do the wiring, etc., then put them back. How do you get your wiring done without twisting your arms where they weren't intended to twist? :gar-Bi

Any ideas?

I like your 'country' look... it looks so nice and 'warm'.

Thank you for your comments.

Chuck Seehuetter

New User
Chuck
Joe,

Sounds like a great project. Post some pics when you get it done. As for accessing the connections to connect cables on mine it is not a problem. With the 18" drawer slides on the pullout, I simply disconnect the "strings", pull it all the way out and it swivels about 60 degrees so access to the back is easy. Make sure your cabinet is fastened to the wall as that's a lot of weight hanging out there. I used 150# drawer slides.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Chuck! :icon_thum The quality is superb. I'm also a big fan of SYP and bartop epoxy. Great job! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS