Modifying DC on Dewalt 735

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Hi guys,
I was replacing the knives on my 735 (got new Infinity knives) and started thinking about my DC setup for it. Now I use the 4" adaptor to a 4-6" fitting to fit my 6" flex pipe. I have a ClearVue cyclone. Every time I use the planer the DC is so powerful that it collapses the flex pipe and yanks the planer really hard. If I don't have the casters locked on the stand, the planer goes a flyin'. The tiny port on the planer restricts the airflow too much.

So I'm thinking of putting a 6" hole in the top of the planer and close off the existing port. Anybody see a problem with this? If I mess up I can always buy a new top for it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I put a tee in my PVC collection line with the stem turned down. A short piece of pipe & reducer was used to make a seat for a 'valve' that was placed inside it before putting it together. The valve had a 3/8" threaded rod through it & washers placed on the lower end. Anytime the DC is on & all the gates are closed, the valve 'pops off' to allow more air into the line. Using more or less washers or heavy nuts I can adjust the opening pressure setting. Perhaps you could try something like that & not need to modify your planer. I'll try & get pics to post here. I had them on my computer & the hard drive crashed a few months ago.:cry_smile

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
My 735 blows so hard that the chips are collected even if I forget to turn the DC on. I think I would change the hose or something before I put a hole in it. I have clear hose with the spiral wire in it hooked up to a 4" pipe.

How do you like the knives? I have been thinking about trying them.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My 735 blows so hard that the chips are collected even if I forget to turn the DC on. I think I would change the hose or something before I put a hole in it. I have clear hose with the spiral wire in it hooked up to a 4" pipe.

How do you like the knives? I have been thinking about trying them.

WOW! :icon_scraThat's exactly what I was thinking! You sure that fan is blowing?:eusa_thin

My 735 will inflate the bag on my DC even going thru a cyclone! :dontknow:

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Gotcha, I'd love to see pics if you can post 'em. That sounds like an interesting solution and it'd help when I run my bandsaw as it only has a 4" port.

I haven't tried the knives yet, just (finally) got them installed tonight. I'll let you know once I do run 'em.

I'm not sure if the 735 would be strong enough to push the shavings up the 6" pipe and all the way to the cyclone.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's what I did to my DC:
The valve seat is UHMW I turned on the lathe to make a tapered seat. O. D. is slightly larger than the I. D. of the 4 x 3" reducer coupling. I placed it near the cyclone where no further connections were downstream.

Weight is added or subtracted from the threaded rod to achieve the desired relief limit. It will seat itself back when a blast gate is opened.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I like Gotcha6's design (and ingenuity) but what if you just partially opened up another blast gate to help reduce the amount of suction through the planer?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
NWDITOT?:eusa_doh:
:gar-La;
That would work, too for the planer problem. I just did this on my system so as not to worry about the gates' positions.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I could do that too. MUCH easier!

I found a site that sells replacement covers for my planer. It's about $45. I'm really tempted to cut a 6" hole in the top and connect my DC hose to that. I also thought of putting a 6" connection in a piece of MDF and mount it just in front of the planer's DC port. Since the planer has a fan anyway, it'll shoot the chips out and they'd get sucked up by the DC port. It would allow for extra air too.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I'd love to hear Alan in Little Washington's thoughts.:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS