Moak Restoration/Upgrade Complete - Pics time

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, my goal was to complete the 36" bandsaw rebuild/upgrade before I leave again for China. All bearings have been replaced, brakes replaced with electronic braking, new lower door, and new blade guard fabricated by me. A picture is worth a 1000 words so it is on with the pictures.

For the complete gallery click here.

Here is the main picture of the front of the saw. The main body was painted with S&W epoxy paint (polymer blue). The doors were painted with S&W industrial enamel 2 shades lighter blue. The guides, and electrical components where painted with Rustoleums Hammered Silver Paint.

normal_4-30-CompleteFront.jpg

Black Diamond Guides - Thats a 3/4" blade in those guides. Just 19' long for this saw!!!!!!

normal_4-30-GuideDetail.jpg

Custom Aluminum throat blade guard

normal_4-28-Bladeguard.jpg

Moak Logo

normal_4-15-MoakLogoPainted.jpg

Wheel Mounted - Light Blue Hammered Paint.

normal_4-28-Bottomwheelinstalled.jpg

Main Back View

normal_4-30-BackComplete.jpg

Main Electrical View without before the fan unit install- I'll write up more details on that system later!

normal_4-25-Moak-Elect-3.jpg

Thanks for Viewing,

John

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
BTW, Keep you calanders open June 16th. There will be a bandsaw commissioning party!!!!!!!

I'll cater in BBQ again and we'll have a great time. :)

nelsone

New User
Ed
WOW!!! Great looking saw. I don't think that would even fit in my gar...shop! Congratulations!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

M

McRabbet

John, what a fantastic job of restoration you've done -- I hope you'll submit pictures to OWWM.com for their archives, since this has to be one of the best restorations their members will ever see! I can see you cutting out rocking chair seats in a single pass; resawing 12" curly maple or cutting 5-1/2" diameter table tops on this baby! Absolutely gorgeous, Dude! Can't wait to see it in it's finished state.

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
Can't wait to see it in it's finished state.

It is finished. :) I was actually cutting with it yesterday. Some of the pics were taken during reassembly, not at the end. :) It came together just as I had hoped. I have been posting on OWWM and will submit the photos to their archive. I need to submit it and the jointer. :)

I can't wait to use the saw for a real project!!! That table is HUGE in person!

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
You did a really great job cleaning and refurbishing that bad boy! Please tell me that June 26 is not the date of the western NCWW meeting?!

woodguy1975

New User
John
You did a really great job cleaning and refurbishing that bad boy! Please tell me that June 26 is not the date of the western North Carolina Woodworker meeting?!

Rob, when will the June meeting be? Going by the trend of second saturday of every month means I should be the weekend after the meeting. I'll move it if that is the date of the meeting or we can just have the meeting in my shop. :-D:-D:-D

M

McRabbet

Please tell me that June 26 is not the date of the western North Carolina Woodworker meeting?!

Rob, when will the June meeting be?
The June meeting of the Western NC Woodworkers Association will be Saturday, June 9th. You both now are committed to be there!!:eusa_danc And I hope I can make the great MOAK Unveiling and BBQ on the 16th (we leave a week or so later for a month in upstate NY!)

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

woodguy1975

New User
John
What a great job and great machine!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

Will you use the VFD to change speed or is it just to provide 3 phase?

The VFD is big enough that I have to supply 3 phase to the VFD. I have a rotary phase converter for basic shop 3 phase. The motor pulls the current of a 7.5 HP motor. The drive (VFD) gives me two things. I slowed the blade speed down to 5000 ft/min instead of 8400 ft/min. The other is braking. With the brake resistor and custom program I can stop the saw in 5 seconds from running speed with no mechanical brakes. Gotta have the brake resistor to take the braking torque from 25% to 125%. I also used an output line reactor to protect the motor from the drive. It is always recommended when putting a VFD on a noninverterduty rated motor.

The enclosure also has 220V cooling fans which is super nice. I found them on Ebay for a steal. All aluminum housing, great flow, and no low voltage supply needed to the cabinet. The fan just pulls from two phases of the 3 phase coming in. I have an exhaust filter towards the top of the cabinet to let the hot air out of the cabinet. I decided to push the cabinet instead of pull, but either works fine.

normal_4-25-Moak-Elect-2.jpg

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Looks good John. About the bandsaw commissioning party, I don't think I have to work that week so Cathy and I should make it.

Travis

New User
Travis
John I can not beleive that last Saturday it was laying around in pieces. You did a really great job not only with the finish but also the controls. You should consider trying to publish one of your massive tool refurbishing projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS