Mixed media project query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Volleyball Trophy project is almost complete. Yep, it's meant to look extremely tacky and cheap :D

How do you glue glass to wood????
Bottles are recessed into wood about 1/4" top and bottom. Tested two part glue and that don't work :nah:

vbtrophy.jpg

Roger

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
How curious.....I look forward to an answer to this question myself.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying the two part glue..that's the way I was going to go.

Plumber's Goop maybe?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Glass to Wood
The strongest choice would be:
General Electric Silicone II
A less toxic alternative would be:
Weldbond
but it isn't as strong.
The fastest and also less toxic recommendation would be:
Hot Glue
Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a glue that dries as clear as possible.

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

russellellis

New User
Russell
spray the very bottoms of the bottles with krylon glaze/frosting and then use clear silicone. that way you wont see the silicone through the bottles.
and hey, shouldnt you have some green painted wedges laying around for the limes?

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . .
and hey, shouldnt you have some green painted wedges laying around for the limes?

:rotflm: Guess I should have asked for design input earlier.
I considered putting sand in the bottles since we play on a sand court :mrgreen:

The description for the silicon sealant says: permanently flexible
Should I be considering adding additional support for the top?

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The description for the silicon sealant says: permanently flexible. Should I be considering adding additional support for the top?
I think the silicone adhesive will be sufficient. It's not like the trophy needs any kind of mechanical strength. I used silicone for Doug's Shop Crawl trophy, and it seemed to hold well. That was metal-to-wood.

For maximum strength, you could epoxy a dowel into the bottle neck. (You'd want to put the bottle flat for this...). Then attach the dowel to the base. Not as pretty though - unless you disguise the dowel as a lime wedge :)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The silicone should be more than sufficient, I've used it many times before. Make sure that you give it much needed time to dry, at least 24 hrs., before moving it.

Jimmy:)

russellellis

New User
Russell
think about this. how many times have you ripped down an old mirror in a bathroom that was only held up with a few dabs of silicone? or the granite backsplash in the kitchen? silicone away!! youll be fine.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks folks, silicone it shall be :mrgreen:
FWIW, I didn't give the epoxy a fair shake. After an hour or so it has firmed up significantly.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS