Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
A year or so ago I made a marking gauge following the instructions from here:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...Marking_Gauge/

But the only thing worse than my sharpening skill was my chiseling skill
smile.gif
. The beam did not fit snug enough and it was sloppy when locked down. But I still really liked the design and it was serviceable. Version 1.0 :

MG_8054.sized.jpg

I recently completed my second version of this marking gauge. I changed the dimensions a little and used a blade for marking as opposed to a ground down drill bit. The blade is held in with a simple wedge. Version 2.0 :

69CG6220.sized.jpg

69CG6221.sized.jpg

69CG6222.sized.jpg

(more/full sized images here: http://photos.ganzhorn.org/album783 )

The body is cull spalted red oak from Scott. The beam is cherry. The wedges are mystery wood from WoodWrangler's scrap pile and the blade is a ground down jigsaw blade :).

It turned out great. I really like that I can lock it down (and loosen it) with one hand. I also really like the marking knife/wedge. The only thing I would do differently is add some brass to the face (my last one is quite scratched up) and grind the knife a little differently (more of a spear).

If you need a gauge try out the plans!
Salem

b4man

New User
Barbara
Your implementation of the design turned out really well. Actually I think you should submit your marking gauge to replace the one you drew from!:eusa_clap

Barbara

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great job! A fine use woods!

Curious to know what you think of wedging in the cutter down the road. Seems logical to me, which means it could be ill-logical :)

Jim

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have not used it on a real project yet but I have played with it a fair bit and it didn't slip marking in hard maple. I also like how easy it is to set the depth of cut. With the wedge. I always worried about the hole getting reamed out on the old one when adjusting it. With the wedge I just set the knife, insert the wedge and give it a tap.

I think it is going to work but I will let you know if I end up hating it :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS