Magnetic Dado Shims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am having trouble with the shims for my dado set falling into the threads and not being able to tighten the dado set because of this. I am wondering if a magnetic set is the answer. Are there any tricks I might be missing or is magnetic the way to go?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Magnetic shims seems to be the cats meow. I wonder how they can get the magnetic material thin enough for the tightest shims :eusa_thin. I also have seen shims with slots in them that allow you to slip them on and off the arbor without having to remove the blades. That's a dang good idea.
I suspect in your case your shims have gotten a little whaller'd at the arbor hole. Some extra attention while you're placing them on the arbor might be all that is needed or a new set of after market shims might be easier - http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5028

Dave:)

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

The shims on almost any dado set will have a tendency to fall into the acme threads on tablesaw arbors, but I've found that the easiest method to keep them from doing that is to put the set together so the shims are between the last chipper and the outside blade at the washer and nut. I have a Freud SD-508 set and put the inner blade and chippers on the arbor one at a time. Then I'll add the shim(s) and seat them against the last chipper -- because the thread is at an angle and the chipper plate is perpendicular to the arbor shaft, you'll know it is okay if it sits against the chipper. Then I put the outer blade in place followed by the washer and arbor nut. Works for me, even with 0.004" shims.

jimwill48

James
Had my 1st problem with shims myself a couple of weeks ago on a Freud Dado set. Dang near never got the shim off and then had an issue with the chipper coming off. One thread got a burr on it but by running the harbor nut the lenght of the arbor took care of that. Took advanage of Lee Valleys free shipping offer and ordered a set of the plastic slit style that DaveO mentions. Also would like to pick up a magnetic set in the future. I've heard of people using paper, index cards ect as shims also.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS